Pro Gear & Tiburon reel clamp screws

Started by Fishead, July 23, 2023, 04:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

If I want to search for replacements or something similar, what is proper nomenclature for those screws? I think Penn uses similar one as well. I know  the thread size is 10/24 on the Tiburon & Pro Gears.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Crab Pot

If you buy a Tiburon frame for whatever model reel you have the screws are interchangeable from the old reel.

I have built two Tiburon framed kits now and the only thing I've noticed is tighter tolerances in the screw holes.

I suggest running screws in the frame first to "clean up the holes" prior to placing them with the side plates on to avoid screwdriver slips and scratching the side plates.

As for nomenclature, they'll be on the schematic with part number for ease in ordering.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Swami805

McMaster Carr is a good place to look, they have pictures with the name of the screws
There's the older Tiburon clamps and the newer ones, depends on witch one you're looking for
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishead

Mine is like the right one but it's round rather than hex shaped and thick nub like the hex head. I don't not see anything like that on their site. If I know what the proper name is, I will search by name. I'd post a pic but haven't figured out how from an iPad.

Swami805

Those are the old style ones, I don't know what they're called either
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Sometimes called post or capture nuts /screws. I havent been able to find any that work aftermarket or industrial; 
if I'm really stuck, I will cut a quarter 20 to length as a stud (grease holes) and upgrade to a strikemaster clamp which is slotted for universal use and big enough to get a driver in for SS nylocks or acorn nuts. Bulky for small reels tho.

Fishead

Quote from: thorhammer on July 24, 2023, 11:52:34 AMSometimes called post or capture nuts /screws. I havent been able to find any that work aftermarket or industrial; 
if I'm really stuck, I will cut a quarter 20 to length as a stud (grease holes) and upgrade to a strikemaster clamp which is slotted for universal use and big enough to get a driver in for SS nylocks or acorn nuts. Bulky for small reels tho.

These reels have 10/24 studs. I don't want to drill & tap for 1/4-20 studs because as you said, they are smaller reels.