Shimano Stradic FL, Drag is a Disappointment

Started by Prefessa, July 25, 2023, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys: Just picked up 2 New Stradics a 4000 and A 3000 HGFL. Great reels, but the carbontex washers are a disapointment. The drag has little range meaning it locks up in like 3/4 turn. If you fish a light drag the Spool wobbles, and a tight drag has a sl studder to it.

So 2X I degreased and regreased the washers...Its a little better

Q1 Anyone Make a Replacement set of PTFE washers? Has anyone made their own? Or is there a Penn PTFE washer that fits?

Q2 anyone Combine Carbon and Felt...Was thinking of leaving the bottom washer as Carbon then adding 2 felt.

Q3 Can I get the upgraded washers from Shimano for the FM...supposed to be the best of both worlds.

JasonGotaProblem

How low of a drag setting are you looking to fish at? Is there a max you're likely to use? You sound like you've experimented with these drags a bit so youve probably also discovered how limiting the drag retainer spring is with regards to stack height.

What I've done for my XGSW spheros 4000 (same drags as yours) is go to one thicker-weave carbontex and 2 of the thinnest available carbontex. I also mirror-polished both sides of the metal washers. I am very hapoy with it now.

It's my unscientific observation that the thicker carbon disks have more compressibility which increases drag range. But you can't use all thick sheets because of the stack height limit imposed by the retainer spring.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Prefessa

Whats crazy is the all teflon system in my ancient Penn 714 is way smoother than the one on the Stradic... Kind of a dissapointment since the Penn reel is 40 years old. I have no idea other than the "Battle of the Max Drag Pressure" why we went away from Teflon. I am certain ur not getting 22lbs of Drag on an all Teflon system.

Shimano was no help....Only suggestion was to remove all but a thumb print of Drag Lube from the washers....BTW NO ONE at Shimano has seen the new Dura Cross Drag Washers Yet...

Gfish

I have an older FJ 3000 size, so don't know if this'll help. You can see the original felt washers above the replacements. Darn, can't remember where I ordered the C-Tex from: Smoothdrag? But it is very adjustable(slow ramp-up) and smooth now. I had globs of Cal's drag grease in there to protect the drag cup, cause I had an 8000 that leaked and ruined the bottom of the cup. That extra grease didn't seem to decrease the performance...
Note the under-spool washers—-check yours, have extra if you need some, mine uses 2.
Also, you can have my 3 felt washers if you want them.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!