salt corrosion fused main gear and bearing?

Started by Christopher M Songer, July 26, 2023, 11:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Criminally neglected Daiwa BG 6500. Main Drive gear is stuck in the right-side plate bearing. Since the Oscillating gear rides over the bearing and cannot be removed until the Drive gear in out I am at a standstill. I have been soaking it in WD 40. I have 4 of these near-death reels with moderate success so far. Thinking about using my U/S cleaner. My question is what should I use as a cleaning solution in the Ultra Sonic, or is there another approach I have not thought of?
Always go forward, never go straight

ExcessiveAngler

That really, does not look too good inside!
Not sure exactly how the BG is set up inside?
But, with Penn reels, you have to remove a screw, to the to remove the spool shaft!
Once the shaft is removed, the main gear should lift/pull right out!
Go to google and search Daiwa BG 6500 maingear removal and service!
Got to take the two screws out, on top of the rotor, to remove the pinion gear assembly! then there is a small wire, retaining clip on the opposite side of the handle, that you remove, then the sport shaft can slide up out of the way, and the maingear will lift, right out of there!
Very easy if you watch the video!
Here's a screenshot of the site to look up!

JasonGotaProblem

EA is right. Unless of course you've already removed it. But they're so absurdly small that I was convinced my BG came from the factory without one. But I think I can see it in your pic.

Super easy to lose too. Another item on my gripe list about the BG.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Christopher M Songer

The oscillating gear hold screw is under the drive gear sooo far, I cannot get to it. Thus, the problem. The drive gear is stuck in the bearing under the right-side plate. The oscillating gear overlaps the bearing, so I cannot pull it out until the drive gear is free from that bearing. Pic are from another reel.  Gonna look for that video, I had seen different one I think. Thanks for the input. I was able to get one out and serviced once the drive gear separated from the bearing.  I did a few of these same model reels last year for this guy. Did NOT have this big a problem.  Yeah, thats the one I watched. Got retainer off under the right side too. Guess I will just be patient.

thorhammer

heat gun and then PB blaster. Stinks but better than about anything as a penetrant. If i was gonna do US I'd use hot water in it, after the first trick. I suppose you could use a light motor oil, a quart would be five bucks and could be reused if you have four reels. The US cleaner may vibrate a little oil in gradually to free it.

jgp12000

I have tried them all over the years but <Kroil> is my goto.Just let it sit for awhile.

jtwill98

I had a similar issue with a bail spring being stuck in the bail cup of a rotor, heavily encrusted by salt. 

Fred suggested soaking it in white vinegar for overnight or longer. 

I tried his suggestion and the salt loosen up enough over night that the spring could be pulled free from its enclosing cup.  I was then able to re-soak the cup for another evening and clean away the rest of the salt with help from a dental pick. 

This might be quicker in an ultrasonic white vinegar bath. 

jgp12000

I use a plastic "spudger" (solder tool) for hard to get to areas,and
Wont scratch metal it could on painted surfaces with too much elbow grease though.

ExcessiveAngler

Did we actually verify that he removed the spool(main) shaft yet?
Looks like, it's still in place, in the top pictures, from what I can see!
This reel is only going to get damaged further, if he keeps trying to go at it without the main gear removed!
Not that I recommend this, but I've done it with other things!
And usually have great success with it!
Is there enough room, for just a Phillips quick change bit, to fit in there?
If not, you could try grinding the bit down some, to make it shorter!
If so, you could slide it in and put it into the head of the Phillips screw, then turn it with a quarter inch wrench!
I've also ground off, the flat ends on a double sided, right angle screwdriver to get into some very, very tight places too!

Christopher M Songer

Pinion gear is out but the main gear is still in the bearing. I've used this to clean mildly sticky bearings. I cannot submerge the reel like this, but I have an idea. Occasionally I use an electric toothbrush and place my mini jar on top touching the device to get maximum vibration. This has worked on many bearings. I will gently blow out the WD40 and squirt some PB Blaster on the bearing/Main drive gear stuck in the reel and the place the toothbrush on high speed against the reel body as close to this area as possible. I got nothing to lose and plenty of time. I have 4 of these reels and 2 are done. 2 more to go. Wish me luck. Soak and wait. I will try the toothbrush technique tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Christopher M Songer

These should have been in the last post. Just an idea. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

ExcessiveAngler

How do you expect to get to main gear out, if you do not remove the main shaft?
I still see the shaft installed, in the reel ,in the picture above!
Maybe I'm missing something here?

Christopher M Songer

If the bearing under the right plate is not corroded on the drive gear, this comes out in one piece after the 5-sided retainer clip is off. (pic on left) Oh never mind. Carry on. These pics are from a different reel. So far so good, just the one has what I think is a badly corroded bearing clinging for life to the drive gear shaft as pictured with the red circle. (middle pic) Again, all these pics are from a different reel.

Christopher M Songer

Pic is a different reel, I have 4, 2 are done. One will be done soon. (the one in the pic) Just trying to show what my frustrated mind is trying to do to get the last bearing free.

johndtuttle

Take a look at my tutorial for the BG in the Daiwa spinning section. I believe the bearing does not come out towards the main gear but only towards the outside of the gear box. Its retained by a small wire clip (on the shaft) on the outside.

To the inside it's blocked by the oscillation gear but I believe it may be in a receptacle positioning it, regardless.

With the pinion shaft removed the main gear is removable but is stuck in the bearing due to rust. Until that rust is broken up your main and the bearing are going nowhere. But if you get the main gear out and remove the wire clip holding in the bearing, the bearing should then tap out to the outside. Its just going to take time for a penetrant to get in there and work on the corrosion. You should be able to tap on the shaft from the outside to attempt to free the main if you have removed the clip.

These rescues can be fun but I would price all the parts. Doubt much is going to be salvageable. other than perhaps the body.

BG is a great value reel but doesn't have a lick of salt protection. These reels have to be kept dry, clean and lubed and its all on the owner.