Mystery reel of the week.

Started by ourford, July 29, 2023, 07:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

I picked up a box of neglected spinners at a yard sale. A couple of Quicks, a Sea Wonder, and this. Missing badge and No other markings except Japan. I'm thinking Olympic because of the spool. Any ideas?
Vic

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

earliest Olympic Model 81 were 300 copies
later versions looked more like yours
or, Compac version of same

happyhooker

Looks like a Plain Jane sitting unasked to dance in a corner.  Hope she'll find someone who'll see her beauty.

Frank

CincyDavid

I have some Point reels that look similar, also can be marked as Herter's or several other brands.  The Herter's are numbered 910 thru 950, smallest to largest, and tend to be a dark chocolate brown metallic color.  The Point Sportsman series uses a different numbering sequence and they are silver and blue-ish gray two tones.  Walker-marked reels can be brown or metallic gold.

1badf350

Quote from: Swami805 on July 29, 2023, 08:49:30 PMHeddon?
My first thought too. Heddon
We're they made in Japan though?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Midway Tommy

It's not a Heddon, although the body design is similar to some Heddons. It also has some Compac attributes. The trick is to find a similar style reel that has a skeleton style body with both sideplates that are removable. I did a lot of searching and could not find anything that stuck out.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

CincyDavid

https://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=121758;image There's a thread on this same page with pics of Herter's and Walker reels that I believe you find are very similar.  If you google Point Sportsman 170 you'll even see the gray and blue colors.

Gfish

Off subject, but the more I see of the Japanese reels from the '60's & '70's the more I'm impressed with their build quality. As a kid I had several of these and I recently went through a South Bend 725A. Not great, especially systems such as the line roller or the drags, too much of what seems to be pot metal, but solid, none the less.
Maybe I've seen too much in recent years of what Fred Oaks would term "Tupperware reels". Graphite composite and whatever types of plastic being used now.
My Dad hated anything made in Japan and unfortunately influenced my thinking back then.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Most likely a Point Sportsman 470, 550 or 570, depending on it's actual size. The 550 is a medium & the 570 is a large reel.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ourford

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I think Cincy and Tommy hit it. Point Sportsman. Guessing a 570 because it is a large reel.
Vic