140 left hand bearing cup doesnt fit...a fix.

Started by Flat Top, July 31, 2023, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Top

I ordered a left hand bearing cup for my 140 from Mystic and when I talked with Scott he said there was a fit issue, so I was warned.

When I received the bearing cup it would not screw into the reel....so the first thing I did was measure an original bearing cup that fit both my 140's...the O.D. was .580.

I measured the new bearing cup and the O.D. on the spool end of the threads was .584 and the O.D. at the collar was .580. The threads were not machined to the O.D. of the cup, but at an angle tapering out of tolerance (.584) to the spool end of the cup! Penn should have known better!

Not to be discouraged I got out the old thread file (32 TPI) and filed the spool end of the cup to .580 (about 4 1/2 threads), measuring as I went to insure I did not undersize the threads, and blended it to the .580 diameter of the rest of the threads on the collar end of the cup. I then lightly machine polished the threads to remove burrs.

Now the cup fits, threads smoothly into the reel with slight finger pressure, and holds its adjustment with use.

I read a thread on here and somebody was having the same issue and this fix is doable with a little attention to detail....also it allows the threaded insert in the reel face to maintain factory tolerances, so that a properly machined bearing cup will fit.
Overkill....is way underrated.

foakes

Great work & skillfully completed!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Flat Top

foakes; Mystic just informed me that they added my info to their tech notes on this part, so hopefully it will help their customers resolve the issue.
Overkill....is way underrated.