Took my DAM Quicks fishing again...

Started by TJAndrews, August 01, 2023, 01:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

Time for our annual trip to the St. Lawrence River near Ogdensburg, NY again, and once more I'm fishing with my two 331s and the 330.

I had a good day today. This morning I caught a nice 26-inch walleye. My notoriously inaccurate tackle box scale said it was a bit over 7 pounds, and who am I to argue?

This afternoon, I caught these two smallmouths. The one on the left is 13 inches, nothing special at all, but the other one is 19 inches, and that scale said it was 5.5 pounds. Compare it to my size 9.5 shoe.

And, of course, all were caught with my venerable 331.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BocaSnook1

Crab Pot

Walleye, that's a bucket list fish for me.

I hear they are great table fare.

That's a nice Smally too.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

sandbar

TJAndrews

Picked up a 17-incher yesterday, and another this morning. Then I rounded things off with another walleye this evening. The walleye is only 21 inches, small for up here, but legal and he'll make for some good eating.

TJAndrews

I used my 330 for a while yesterday, and I have determined that I don't like it as well as the 331s. I don't really know why... It just has a different feel from the 331s.

That's not to say the 330 isn't a good reel - just not one of my favorites.

Could be the rod, I suppose. One of the 331s is on a rod I built years ago using an Ugly Stick blank, and the other is on an actual Ugly Stick rod. They are similar in many ways, but different. The 330 is on a fiberglass rod I  originally built for my Mitchel 304, and it is MUCH different. Lighter, for one thing - different balance.

Midway Tommy

Nice fish TJ! Looks like you're having a good time and successful trip. 15 to 22 inch walleyes are the best eating anyway. A lot of places we, my wife & I, fish have a slot limit where only one "eye" over 22 inches can be kept. I decided over ten years ago that any walleye over 24 inches gets released immediately. 90% of the walleyes over 22 inches are usually females so I like to release them so they can produce more and keep the population up.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

TJAndrews

The walleyes are like the bass here in the St. Lawrence. The gobies are plentiful - TOO plentiful - so the 'eyes have plenty to eat and they grow fast and big. The lower size limit in NY is 18 inches in the Great Lakes system, and 24 or 25 inchers aren't uncommon at all.

thorhammer

TJ, nice work! Eyes are great eating!

John

Finest Kind

Beautiful fish TJ. Small mouth and walleye are on my bucket list. Gotta make it happen one day! There are a few lakes down here on LI that have walleyes, but you have to fish at night to catch them.
John

happyhooker

Looks like some super fishing days up north!  I like your straw fishing hat; got one myself, but a little lower on the crown; can't say it is a lucky fishing hat (yours must be!), but good to keep the sun off your face & ears & fairly cool (in more ways that one!) to wear as hats go.

Frank

TJAndrews

Today's catch of the day, and the reel that brought them in. A 16-inch smallmouth and a 24-inch walleye. I think the walleye had been working out - very heavy and strong for its size. Made the old drag scream on the way in.

TJAndrews

Quote from: happyhooker on August 04, 2023, 09:13:35 PMLooks like some super fishing days up north!  I like your straw fishing hat; got one myself, but a little lower on the crown; can't say it is a lucky fishing hat (yours must be!), but good to keep the sun off your face & ears & fairly cool (in more ways that one!) to wear as hats go.

Frank
The hat was a gift years ago from a brother that has since passed away. I only wear it when fishing, and then only if the wind isn't too strong. Lucky? I dunno, but am unwilling to test it to make sure. ;D