New to fixing up DAM Quicks

Started by Lorcan, August 01, 2023, 05:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorcan

Greetings all from The Netherlands.

I recently came across some Quick N series reels which I hardly came across when I started fishing in the 80s.

A 330n, 220n and 110n all need a little TLC but the 220n is up and fishing nicely.

First impressions were that they are built like brick outhouses and smooth. So smooth I hear little rubbings and scratching I just don't hear on my Mitchell's (410 and 300 have always ground, with 308 and 408 a lot smoother but still fairly loud). I can see where all the discussion on this site about cleaning and polishing bushings etc started.

Anyway, I'm getting there.

I have a few questions.

First I noticed the 330n has an inward turned bail arm lever where the others had rounder outward turned versions. The bail wire also had a straight segment I've never seen except deeply buried in a certain auction site (German version). Felt tight and pinched, and bail arm snap was much improved when I replaced the lever with the outward turned version. Any significance in terms of age or is it a bit random? No serial numbers, unlike Mitchell's and Abus.

Second, to a greater or lesser degree the spools have all been a bit whitened in the sun. Any tips for freshening them up? Auto trim liquid? Or could this do more harm than good to the plastic?

In general it's not going to be easy to get spares on this side of the Atlantic. Rarer than hen's teeth. Sizes other than 330 also. Somehow DAM got a bigger following in the US (or maybe all the followers are on this site).

Anyway, I appreciate all the tips and photos that got me up and running. Other than the clips and pins, which I've not seen on other reels, I'm impressed by simplicity and robustness of these. Mechanically simpler than all but a Mitchell 304.

Pairing them with some restored glass float rods and hoping for a few fat carp and tench in the coming weeks.

Cheers

Lorcan (Irish, not Dutch)

Reeltyme

Lorcan, It never surprises me that a bail needs a bit of "tweaking" when it comes to my bench for service. The vast majority of bails are positioned so they get a bump from time to time and are generally not made of the strongest metal on the reel. Lots of time an owner will tell me they think their bail spring is shot but in reality the bail is just bent. It appears you're well on your way to being a regular "professional"! Very nice looking reel by the way.
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme

foakes

Nice arsenal of reels, Lorcan —-

I have some experience with the DAM Quicks, and also perhaps the largest inventory of New Old Stock parts in the world (by 10 times).

If you check the other reels, and decide to put together a list of needed parts —- a dozen parts could be shipped as easily and as cheaply as one.

The bail arm you installed is correct.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lorcan

That's quite a stock pile of parts Fred! Will message you if I get stuck.

Today I'm starting on the 110n, which seems to need more than a clean out of old waxy grease.

Any tips from anyone on the sun-whitening on the spool? I'm not too bothered about cosmetics if it's not an easy fix.

This gem may get an outing for pike in our many small canals in the coming weeks.

Lorcan

foakes

Those little 110N's are excellent reels!

After trying nearly everything over the years to bring back the spools to shiny black —- that won't revert back to white after a day or a year —-

Penetrol.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

I use that stuff on my fishing pliers and cutters to prevent rust, it's a great product.

Lorcan

Top tip Fred. The same stuff is sold as Owatrol in Europe and I had some - indispensable rust proofer. Three rubbed on coats on the grey areas blackened them up nicely without looking explicitly painted or varnished.