Get a grip...LH bearing cup.

Started by Flat Top, August 02, 2023, 05:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

"Here come old Flat Top, He come grooving up slowly, He got joo joo eyeball, He one holly roller, He got hair down to his knees, Got to be a joker he just do what he please..." 1969, Lennon & Mcartney, Abby Road.
Sorry Dude, but your user name reminded me and my weird sense of humor of that song. First heard it when I was a kid and could never figure-out what John Lennon was referencing. 

Ok, you've convinced me. I have round and half round keyhole files and I know I have tail-plate cup to play with.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Flat Top

Gfish; That is hilarious!!! You will need the round file and a three sided diamond file....maybe you can do it with a half round but that first cut has to be precise...it gets everything lined up for the round file.

Overkill....is way underrated.

Flat Top

Excessive Angler; I am 75 years old and if my old arthritic hands can accomplish this I am sure you can too. Its worth a shot....you just may be amazed at all that talent you have!

Gfish

Gotcha. I do have a tiny 3 sider. Thanks F.T. Had to add reference to the published work of others.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Flat Top

Gfish; Give it a shot and become a hero! LOL!!!

Bill B

Quote from: Flat Top on August 04, 2023, 02:33:24 PMGfish; Its really not that hard to do. All you need is two jewelers files and a little time. You can practice on a washer and when you develop the basic skill you will be well on your way. Maybe I should do a photo tutorial if enough interest is shown?

Oh yeah a tutorial is DEFINITELY needed for this!

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Finest Kind

Flat Top, I would really like to see a tutorial or a few pics as well! I have got to try that on my Squidder!
John

Flat Top

Bill, Finest Kind; I will work on that today and post here later.

Rancanfish

That is indeed impressive work.

But Tom's Cortez Conversions' were the cat's pajamas.  I still have them on some of my ProGears.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Gfish on August 04, 2023, 06:15:30 PM"Here come old Flat Top, He come grooving up slowly, He got joo joo eyeball, He one holly roller, He got hair down to his knees, Got to be a joker he just do what he please..." 1969, Lennon & Mcartney, Abby Road.
Sorry Dude, but your user name reminded me and my weird sense of humor of that song. First heard it when I was a kid and could never figure-out what John Lennon was referencing. 

Ok, you've convinced me. I have round and half round keyhole files and I know I have tail-plate cup to play with.
And I thought I was the only kid stumped by the Beatles songs, until I was a little older!
He say I know you, you know me!
One thing I can tell you, is you've got to be free, come together! Right now!
Over me! and I know there's something else in there about monkey and shoeshine, and Coca-Cola, but been many years, since I've heard or thought about that song lol!
That would always, come on the radio, if there wasn't a 8-track in the player of the old Caddy Eldorado lol!
Thanks for the little flashback man!
Gotta love this place lol!

foakes

Flat Top was going to post with further photos —-

But his desktop computer was out-dated, and an old operating system (Windows 8) —- and he is going to get a new laptop, then post more.

He asked me to let everyone know.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Ok, FT. Looking forward to your return. I gave it a shot on a 113H. But it looks like I godda go deeper. At least I didn't scrape-up the threads. I used a silver sharpie to cover the brass where the chrome plating is gone. This was a good tail-plate cup to try this on as the threads were already a tiny bit boggered and it was difficult to screw-in.

Flat Top

New computer is ready to go, but I am going to try this with my old one....its going downhill fast. These photos are in order and kind of self explanatory. I will try to stay on here as best I can but in a few days I will get the new computer hooked up by a computer guru.....I cant do it myself because I am technologically impaired.

Gfish; Great job!!! Your getting there! Wrap some blue painters tape around the collar (one wrap) on the cup. Set your file at an angle to compensate for the curve of the file so you can cut a straight even line across the cup. When the file hits the tape STOP filing!

Flat Top

just got the new computer up and running!

Gfish; to repair those threads on your bearing cup you can use a thread file.

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on August 06, 2023, 12:03:29 AMOk, FT. Looking forward to your return. I gave it a shot on a 113H. But it looks like I godda go deeper. At least I didn't scrape-up the threads. I used a silver sharpie to cover the brass where the chrome plating is gone. This was a good tail-plate cup to try this on as the threads were already a tiny bit boggered and it was difficult to screw-in.

looking goood Gboy, nice job

Im too busy at the moment to try this mod but I will try it out sooner or later
The Baja Guy