Get a grip...LH bearing cup.

Started by Flat Top, August 02, 2023, 05:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Top

I had trouble getting a grip on the left hand bearing cup with the OEM serrations (because I am old, weak and feeble). These cups are a snug fit and I could not even adjust the bearing cup to the proper end play. I have read here that some use pliers to adjust the cups and I didnt want to ruin the the original cups......anyway, I had a spare bearing cup and decided to file it to match the handle screw which I thought would give me a better grip...and it does. Combined with the friction brake that I am now using adjustment is a piece of cake.
Overkill....is way underrated.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

you did that with just a file?  amazing
The Baja Guy

Flat Top

Thanks foakes!

steelfish; Actually two files....jewelers files...a diamond to layout the point of the cut and a round to finish to shape. Then I buffed it to finish it off.

steelfish

Quote from: Flat Top on August 02, 2023, 06:16:55 PMThanks foakes!

steelfish; Actually two files....jewelers files...a diamond to layout the point of the cut and a round to finish to shape. Then I buffed it to finish it off.

for the quality and detail of the job plus the tools, I bet you have experience in jewelry  :o 

that would look awesome on any penn senator reel, specially on a Penn Baja Special

The Baja Guy

Flat Top

steelfish; Just about any Penn ball bearing cup would look nice with that filing. To top it off and really make it nice it would need to be nickeled or chromed.

No jewelry experience...custom gunsmithing and knife making...and fancy filing is a skill that is developed in those trades. When I was a young man I learned those trades from an old timer and he had me making gun parts by hand...hand tools only. Its amazing what the human mind, eye, and hand can do.

steelfish

Quote from: Flat Top on August 02, 2023, 08:04:12 PM....... and knife making...and fancy filing is a skill that is developed in those trades.

yep that works too.

The Baja Guy

Bill B

Tom!?? Alan Chui!?! Anyone!?!  This is genius!  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

That's quite some craftsmanship, good thinking too

Tom did make something similar I think awhile ago, maybe he can make them again
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Flat Top

Thanks Bill B.; No not genius....like Swami805 says "do what you can with what you have where you are".....and I did.

My 140's are the only Penn reel I have this issue with. All my other Penn conventionals are "bushing" reels and not an issue. Just making the 140's a little more user friendly.

The only improvement I could make to what I did is to make the filed portion of the cup wider so I could get a BIG grip on that bearing cup. 

Gfish

Great lookin' job. Great idea. I want some, but not so sure about my filing skills/patience.

I've had luck with prying the female receptacle apart all the way around the outside section, where there are these tiny tabs that stick-out past the side-plate.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Finest Kind

WOW Flat Top! That is beautiful work! I had the same problem with an old 140. I went with the same method Gfish used. It worked, but.....not in the same class as your work!
John

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Flat Top on August 02, 2023, 05:56:05 PMI had trouble getting a grip on the left hand bearing cup with the OEM serrations (because I am old, weak and feeble). These cups are a snug fit and I could not even adjust the bearing cup to the proper end play. I have read here that some use pliers to adjust the cups and I didnt want to ruin the the original cups......anyway, I had a spare bearing cup and decided to file it to match the handle screw which I thought would give me a better grip...and it does. Combined with the friction brake that I am now using adjustment is a piece of cake.
Oh, I like the way that looks!
Somebody is always coming up with something super inventive and neat around here!
Certainly looks like you have a new business venture going here, my friend!
I wonder, what could be done with the Dremel?
That had to of taken you a while, no?
Definitely does have a very unique look to it!

Flat Top

Gfish; Its really not that hard to do. All you need is two jewelers files and a little time. You can practice on a washer and when you develop the basic skill you will be well on your way. Maybe I should do a photo tutorial if enough interest is shown?

Finest Kind; I thought of that but decided against it. I was fearful that I would snap one of the tabs, or loosen the threaded insert, and did not want to ruin the OEM side plate.

Excessive Angler; A Dremel is too hard to control...one slip with the Dremel and its all over but the cryin'. The files allow excellent control...a bit more time consuming but you will get a much more uniform result. It took me about an hour of actual filing to complete the job.....add layout and buffing time and maybe an hour and a half at most. It was time well spent.

ExcessiveAngler

I get what you're saying about the Dremel!
Very hard, for me to hold little tiny files!
That's why I mentioned trying the Dremel!
An hour or two, is a drop in the bucket for a very nice outcome, on a great modification!
I don't think someone that doesn't have a lot of experience, will get that done in an hour or two lol! Then again, you never know!
There are definitely, some determined souls, around here for sure lol!
Amazing, what you can get done,  when you just whittle at it, little by little lol!
You should take those bearing caps, and make yourself a little kit to sell, with your friction rings!