Shakespeare Sea Wonder 2090

Started by ourford, August 02, 2023, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

So I bought a box of very neglected spinners at a yard sale. One of them was a Sea Wonder 2090. I'm impressed how well it cleaned up. From barely turning to smooth and fully operational. I ran into something I haven't seen before. The pinion bearing is sealed on the front but the back is open and has a nylon washer and an o ring. Did they come this way, or did someone modify it? The bearing cleaned up very well and works like new.
Vic

Midway Tommy

It's been modified. Someone removed the shield on one side, cleaned and regreased it, added a plastic/teflon washer to cover the open side and added an O ring to help seal and hold the washer in place (maybe for saltwater protection). You don't really need that if you're going to use it solely in freshwater. I generally remove one shield to clean and grease them and when I reinstall the bearing I put the unshielded side towards the inside of the body. That helps prevents some of the dirt, sand and water from getting into the bearing race. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ourford

Thanks Midway. I didn't think it was original.
Vic

happyhooker

That reel is a beauty, and you made a super yard sale find.  One of the very best IMHO of the old-time spinning reels for heavy fish usage.  I tip my hat to you for resurrecting it from what might have become a lamentable death.  Earlier relative to the later "Royal Maroons", which are no slouches either in the larger sizes for big fish.

Frank

ourford

Thanks Frank. I'm always happy to find a reel I didn't know about and find out how it works. It's even better to find an impressive one.
Vic