Port Hardy Trip Report!!!!

Started by Brewcrafter, August 05, 2023, 06:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Just got back today from taking the family for a PacNW jaunt - and already trying to plan a return trip!  My first time heading north, and it was a blast.  We departed SoCal at O'dark, flew into SEATAC and then made a short hop over to Victoria YYJ, and arrived shortly after noon.  First step, rent a car.  Pro tip - the Enterprise rental is off-airport (short shuttle trip) and is a kiosk located (no joke!) in the corner of a somewhat novel location:
Car Rental.jpgCar Rental.jpg

We spent the first afternoon and evening exploring downtown Victoria - neat large city, with lots to see. Lots of history and a very cool Chinatown (I like history).  The Empress Hotel was not where we stayed, but very impressive!:
Empress Hotel.jpgEmpress Hotel.jpg

When checking into the hotel, they had a complimentary copy of the newspaper.  Jurelometer?  Jurelometer?
Beserk Bear.JPGBeserk Bear.JPG

On day two we made the run from Victoria up to Port Hardy, basically the full length of the island.  It took most of the day, and Maxed Out Ted was not exaggerating when he told me to expect a very scenic drive.  The southern part of Vancouver island has a LOT of agriculture, with orchards, wineries, etc.  Unfortunately as I was being the driver I don't have any cool photos but trust me - coming from where we live it was nice just to see so much green.

And then Welcome to Port Hardy!
Welcome.jpgWelcome.jpg
totem Pole.jpgtotem Pole.jpg

First day, Todd was gracious enough to take us out for a short morning of fishing close to home in his really nice center console.  The action was pretty consistent, with lots of shaker salmon and small rockfish on the troll.  Bennett got a pretty serious workout with the mooching gear!  But we did nail 3 keepers; 2 Chinook and one Chum!  All that and home in time for lunch and exploring!
Todd Boat.jpgTodd Boat.jpg
Fish On.jpgFish On.jpg
Chinook.jpgChinook.jpg

The next day we got serious.  The girls went on a wildlife expedition and saw lots of eagles as well as some of the local whales, so that made their day.
Whale Tail.jpgWhale Tail.jpg
Orca Time.jpgOrca Time.jpg

Meanwhile us guys made the long run up to the top of the island in an awesome 31' Bertram Fishing machine!  Very fast, super comfortable ride (Bennett was loving the cabin heater!) and really stable (it was pretty sporty for the first few drifts that we did).  Lots of nice custom touches that really make this a solid fishing platform.
Bertram.jpgBertram.jpg
Bertram Deck.jpgattach id=127833 width=25 height=30]Bertram Deck.jpg[/attach]
Todd worked hard deckhanding and we tried a LOT of stuff, caught a lot of sub-legal Lings, but Bennett bagged one really nice keeper and we hooked a lot of solid rockfish - any of which would be jackpot contenders on a SoCal day boat.  We also put a lot of time in on trying to bag my first Pacific Halibut, but alas it was just not meant to be on this trip so I am already plotting my return visit.
Fish Box.jpgFish Box.jpg
I can't say thanks enough, Todd worked his butt off.  Not only did he process all the fish himself but he is going to hand deliver it (well, actually he is checking an ice chest when he comes down for the SOA trip so he might as well bring the fish then).  While Todd seemed a little disappointed with the fishing, I can tell you that both Bennett and myself got a decent workout and were pretty sore, and we have a lot of tasty fish!

Finest Kind

"French Beach park shut down after bear goes beserk"...The headline got my attention. Wild country. Beautiful photos. Great fishing. Not to mention a couple of really nice boats. I can understand why you are planning a return trip!
John

Crab Pot

Nice Report!

I've "seen" Victoria Island from the deck of an aircraft carrier as we went though the straights of Juan Defuca (spelling?) and it's truly amazing. We anchored off Vancouver.

I was amazed at how clear the water was, from 90' high we had quite a birds eye view. Highlight of the passage was seeing Killer Whales swim along side the ship.

Victoria Island is on my bucket list.

Steve

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Cor

Looks like a great place with good fishing.
Cornelis

Gfish

Enterprise must be saving $ by not locating in the airport. Some mainland friends came to the Island and I spent 30 min. Driving around the airport looking for it. We finally found it about 1 mile south.

Yup, Vancouver and Victoria looked enticing from a commercial boat as we went through the "straights" up to San Juan Island. It was kinna funny, the Captain was inexperienced in those waters and we got warned over the radio for being on the wrong side as we headed in. Apparently you travel in through Canadian waters, USA boat or not.

I noticed a size difference between the So-Cal rockfish (smaller) and the Nor-cal critters, too.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

How about a ride in a B-25?  That shiny thing would have distracted me.  Thanks for sharing your trip!!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Shellbelly on August 06, 2023, 08:55:25 PMHow about a ride in a B-25?  That shiny thing would have distracted me.  Thanks for sharing your trip!!
When we were landing my son busted my chops - thought it was something I planned.  If you are into historic warbirds like I am they also had "Sentimental Journey" so he also got to see one of the ten or so still flying B-17.  I pulled him out of school one day to see the "Nine of Nine" B-17 when it was at Riverside airport and we got to go inside.  Too bad that one was lost in Connecticut. And on a tangent when we were in Seattle the Blue Angels were in town and were ripping around downtown and the waterfront to excite interest in their show for the weekend.  Let me just say that FA-18 x 2 engines = super load cool! 
But I have to tell you Todd's boat or the Bertram would definitely distract anybody on this site.  Awesome fishing machines, but let's be real it's the people behind them that make the difference, - john

Donnyboat

Thanks John Toby, nice report, I found it very interesting from the other side of the world, did you manage to sell any of your beers when there, Todd`s the man, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Donnyboat on August 07, 2023, 01:23:32 AMThanks John Toby, nice report, I found it very interesting from the other side of the world, did you manage to sell any of your beers when there, Todd`s the man, cheers Don.
Donny - Oddly enough, no Brewcrafter Beers but when we were done with the all-day trip the owner of the Bertram invited us for a beer in his shop and I swear when he handed me the can I thought I was being pranked and looked all around for a hidden camara - he handed me a can of what is easily one of my top-5 all times beers EVER and one that is VERY difficult to find in the states, a Czech beer called Popovicky Kozel.
I am heavily plotting my return to Canada; but still on the hopeful list (and a trip that Todd talked about) is getting down to your "Land Down Under"  and checking out some of the fishing there - I love your trip reports, and especially some of those exotic species like the one with the blue skeletons (Ling Cod here sometimes have blue or green flesh that cooks up tasty white, but nothing with blue bones!) - john

whalebreath

Quote from: Crab Pot on August 06, 2023, 12:04:28 AMVictoria Island is on my bucket list.
That's quite a long trip being as how it's above the Arctic Circle-what you want is Vancouver Island

Crab Pot

Quote from: whalebreath on August 07, 2023, 04:03:34 AM
Quote from: Crab Pot on August 06, 2023, 12:04:28 AMVictoria Island is on my bucket list.
That's quite a long trip being as how it's above the Arctic Circle-what you want is Vancouver Island

You are correct, Vancouver Island!   :d
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

I can't exaggerate the level of agriculture on the south end of the island.  Wineries, orchards, and farmers markets. It was incredible! - john

MarkT

Quote from: Crab Pot on August 07, 2023, 04:07:25 AM
Quote from: whalebreath on August 07, 2023, 04:03:34 AM

You are correct, Vancouver Island!   :d

The top end of Vancouver Island, up in Toddlandia!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Victoria is that city on the Southern end of the Island, visible from the Straights, right?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

we weren't able to plan a trip this year.  we will be back next year!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!