712z Bail Wire?

Started by jgp12000, August 05, 2023, 10:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I recently got a 712z and was noticing the bail wire(24-712) looks different than most I have seen?I did find one photo of a newer model that had the same bail wire.I am just curious if it came that way from the factory?It works fine,it also looks different than the schematic?

Woodpuppy

Newer versions had the different bail/line bearing, plastic housing side plate, and rubberized handle. It all works just fine, but I tend to prefer the original.

jgp12000

foakes

Someone may have used a different bail as a replacement, or modified one to fit.  As long as it works?

I checked my inventory of 712 bails —- and they are all the same.

No variations.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Better and more pics would tell a lot more, JGP. From that angle it resembles the older Cardinal line guide pivot side. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

Tom I found an older post Chester started on his 1st Greenie 712,Ruffy has a photo of his 713 with the newer bail wire.It looks like the same one on the 430SS.

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,30564.0.html

Midway Tommy

A comparison of the other side would sure help to figure out the origins.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

jgp12000

This is the bail wire my 712z came with.

Midway Tommy

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Ruffy

Hi all, it seems they did change the 712 bail to the newer style as seen on the 4x0 series. The 713 above in jgp12000's post is mine. I bought that bail wire from mystic as the original with the conical guide was rusted.

Great reels, in the world of modern braids I find the 712/713 to be the sweet spot for the fishing I do. Stout, with a good drag, loaded with 30lb braid.

Cheers,
Andrew.

jgp12000

Thanks for the update Ruffy,now even that bail wire isn't available from Mystic.I guess it was the latest and greatest at the time.

Ruffy

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 11, 2023, 12:18:19 PMThanks for the update Ruffy,now even that bail wire isn't available from Mystic.I guess it was the latest and greatest at the time.

Certainly was, I also kept the earlier tungsten carbide roller (dark grey).

The only thing I think would improve it is a bigger handle, but that is future Andrew's problem!

Cheers,
Andrew