Greenie 712 Emblem Cleanup?

Started by jgp12000, August 06, 2023, 08:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

A friend of mine has a 712 that needs cleaning,the emblem in particular.Fred I believe I read a post you made awhile back that this could be done with a brass brush in a dremel,correct me if I misread? Also,are these emblems brass or some type of metal?I assume you would mask off the paint to protect it,or would 0000 steel wool be a safer option?

foakes

Today at 01:35:30 PM
Last Edit: Today at 01:37:57 PM by jgp12000
A friend of mine has a 712 that needs cleaning,the emblem in particular.Fred I believe I read a post you made awhile back that this could be done with a brass brush in a dremel,correct me if I misread? Also,are these emblems brass or some type of metal?I assume you would mask off the paint to protect it,or would 0000 steel wool be a safer option?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Penn made (3) types of emblems during this early Spinfisher era.

Brass, silver, or brass highlighted with a black background.

Any can be cleaned and shined quickly and effectively.

My grinding station behind my stool had 6 heads, a 1" belt sander, and a variable speed Dremel.

I just use the Dremel on these (or DAM Quicks).

A dip in the ultrasonic cleaner with a solution of HD Dawn dish soap, rinse, & dry.

Then remove the years of tarnish with SS wire brushes in the Dremel. I do not use brass brushes because they are not as effective, quick, and are more expensive. They are too soft.

I never tape the paint off. Just a steady hand, good reading glasses, and safety glasses over them.

Afterwards, just go over the emblem to shine it further with NEVR-DULL.  ND also does a good job on the paint.

If you have never done one of these before, it may take 10 minutes total.  If you have done a few —- it honestly only takes 3 minutes, including cleaning.

The emblems on Penns are very thin, whereas the emblems on other reels like DAM Quicks, are 3 times as thick.

Here is a greenie 710 with a silver emblem that was fairly tarnished.  3 minutes, it's done.

Again, wear decent surround over-eye protection —- never an exception to this rule!!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pointbob

what about those ultrasonic liquid cleaners?
Patience comes to those who wait

foakes

Quote from: pointbob on August 07, 2023, 02:23:41 AMwhat about those ultrasonic liquid cleaners?

As stated above, Bob —-

I use the ultrasonic cleaner and HD Dawn dish soap to clean the painted sideplate.

However, that will not get the tarnish off of the emblem.

The liquid solution that would be required would also take off all of the paint, melt the glue, dissolve metals —- and the emblem would be ruined along with the plate.

Every tool, cleaner, various ultrasonic liquids, and techniques need to be used up to their effective result —- then some experience is needed to know what works and what doesn't.

There might be a dozen ways to polish these emblems.  But this is the quickest, and yields top results every time.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I have 3 cleaners that I choose from, Maas, Dupont Chrome Polish or Dupont Clearcoat Rubbing Compound, depending on the severity, and a stiff tooth brush. I don't have the intestinal fortitude take after it with any type of metal wire brush. Metal seems to pit the medallion and a miss step will chip/scratch the paint.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 07, 2023, 04:21:35 PMI have 3 cleaners that I choose from, Maas, Dupont Chrome Polish or Dupont Clearcoat Rubbing Compound, depending on the severity, and a stiff tooth brush. I don't have the intestinal fortitude take after it with any type of metal wire brush. Metal seems to pit the medallion and a miss step will chip/scratch the paint.

There are many ways to approach reel improvements and issues —-

And Tommy's is another way.

The only difference between me and perhaps most other guys —- is that I have hundreds of thousands of New parts for these vintage quality reels.  So, if I screw up —- I just replace with a new part.

However, I have to say that in possibly 2000 times cleaning these emblems on Penns & DQ's —- I have been lucky 100% of the time, so far.  Maybe when I get older, I won't be so fortunate.

Moderation and a light touch are key.

All roads lead to Rome.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

jgp12000

I am with Tom,I do not have the guts to go at it without masking the reel, but I haven't done it a gazillion times like Fred. I tried a brass brush in my cordless drill on high speed, and it turned out pretty good.My dremel is not variable speed.

foakes

Looks good, James —-

Now give it a good rub-down and shine job with Never-Dull and a micro-fiber cloth.

It will remove the rest of the tarnish you can't see, putting on a protective coat that will slow down the tarnish from returning, and really shine it even more.

Good work!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.