712 Screw

Started by jgp12000, August 07, 2023, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I just got a 712 parts reel that has a broken screw in the rotor.I haven't received it yet,I got it for the handle and drag knob look good.If I can get this screw out it could be another good complete reel.I was thinking letting about letting Kroil soak on it awhile then tapping it counterclockwise with a scribe very slowly.If I have to file a slot or drill a small hole in the center with a drill press either way I got it for a good price.The handle alone is worth what I paid for it?

Woodpuppy

Kroil is the right start. That's an awfully small screw to get a drill bit centered on even in a drill press, with the irregular break surface. Worst case you can probably get a replacement rotor here on the forum.

Midway Tommy

Did that on a mint Cardinal 3 I paid $5 for. It was a simple process. I didn't use any penetrant, but not a bad idea, just clean any residue off the face before drilling. I used a regular handheld 3/8 electric drill and started the hole with a tiny bit and then used the smallest easyout they make. The screw backed right out. Turned that $5 reel, $7 with the screw, into a $200 reel in about 5 minutes.  ;)  8)  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Same as Tom, I use very small drill bits to start a hole at low speeds.  Then progressively larger until I can get a tiny extractor bit in the hole —- then just back out the broken, recessed screw stud.  For the back out process, I never use a power drill —- just by hand using a nut driver or T-handle.

This little tech vise with plastic adjustable position jaws is cheap, had it for 20 years, and use it a few times a week.

Unless the screw is salt-fused, it will just back out.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Tommy I will try it I have to use Kroil I love the smell...Fred I have a similar tronics vice,dumb question what are the red pliers called and you doing with them right there.I do not have real small ezouts maybe a #4 gotta look.That one with the round tip looks good where you find it?

foakes

They make small ez-outs.  Just need to get the hole large enough for the EZ to grab the inside of the bore without expanding into the threads on the rotor.

The little grinding head is handy for different things.

The pliers I have used a few times when a screw stud is busted off and recessed.  It only works on "through" threaded holes —- which these Spinfishers have.

But not all of the time.

Best method is what Tommy showed —- small drill bits graduating up in diameter until an EZ-OUT or even a flat-blade screwdriver can be forced down into the hole.

You might be able to move the broken screw by FIRST attempting to drive it in further —- then back it out when the tension breaks.  Or, it may be easier to just continue forward clockwise —- until it drops into the rotor.

Heat alternating with cold are also remedies to loosen.  A high wattage soldering gun with a sharp point will heat the stud.

It is easier to get a busted off steel bolt out of an aluminum engine block or head, than it is on these little reels parts.  Lots of times, we just weld a nut or bolt to the broken stud — then back it out.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crab Pot

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 07, 2023, 10:56:58 PMdumb question what are the red pliers called

I have never seen pillars like that either. 

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

foakes

Quote from: Crab Pot on August 08, 2023, 12:50:08 AM
Quote from: jgp12000 on August 07, 2023, 10:56:58 PMdumb question what are the red pliers called

I have never seen pillars like that either. 

Mechanic's use them for spark plugs, spark plug wires, or removing vacuum hoses in tough spots.

They do come in handy for some types of reel work.  Plumbing also.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

jgp12000

So are you using the red pliers to apply pressure to both sides of the broken screw to turn it?

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 08, 2023, 10:22:45 AMSo are you using the red pliers to apply pressure to both sides of the broken screw to turn it?

Yes, James —-

This can sometimes be accomplished —- providing the busted stud isn't salt fused.

If I just get it out from either side 1/8" —- it can be grabbed with a pair of extractor pliers or my favorite little ignition pliers.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

jgp12000

I ordered some spark plug pliers but the ends are too big for the 712,I centerpunched the screw before the kroil bath.I will try to drill tomorrow,hopefully will come right out.

Midway Tommy

Hopefully centerpunching the screw stud didn't jamb the threads. I never centerpunch studs smaller than 1/4" diameter because it can be a little tough to get a good bite with the tiny easyout. I want the stud to turn as easily and freely as possible once I get it to bite. I just take my time keeping the tiny drill bit centered on the stud.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 11, 2023, 04:32:38 PMI ordered some spark plug pliers but the ends are too big for the 712,I centerpunched the screw before the kroil bath.I will try to drill tomorrow,hopefully will come right out.

The nature and reasons for a bail screw to break off are generally due to the stud being fused to the rotor.

Like I said before, SOMETIMES the trick pliers do work.  That is the first quick attempt.  But the pliers have to be small enough to go into both sides of the through hole without screwing up the rotor threads.  It only is possible about 1 in 10 times.  And this will seldom happen with a fused, broken off screw stud.

The only method I use is Tommy's after the plier attempt.

Start with tiny drill bits and a variable speed controllable drill.  Increase the drill size until you can insert an EZ out or a modified screwdriver to jam tight in the hole —- without messing up the rotor threads.  Sometimes I take it out to the drill press in my machine shop.  But usually just the little 12V Milwaukee does a great job, if you have 2 or 3 sharp and progressively larger bits.

This is a job requiring patience, care, and the proper tools —- in order to save a rare rotor from being ruined.

It is all doable and possible.  And anytime we add a little experience to our Arsenal —- that is a good thing.

The real key here is to not force anything —- let the sharp bits do their job —- slow and square.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

jtwill98

One other tip, which most likely won't help you because you probably don't have them, is to use left-handed drill bits.  Sometimes while drilling the bit grabs the screw and it comes right out. 

The left-handed bits can be found online and are a good edition to your tool collection if you work on mechanical items frequently where you encounter broken screws and bolts.   

jgp12000

jt Harbor Freight has an ezout/left hand drill set,I am going to get one this a.m. if the bits are small enough