Anti reverse bearing not working

Started by sebastianr240, August 09, 2023, 05:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastianr240

I stripped down my Trinidad 30a to get some sand out of it after kayak incident. I got most of the sand out and everything back together, but I can't seem to get my AR clutch to work properly. I popped the cage out of the bearing, cleaned, and reassembled. But no matter what it I do it seems to be allowing the sleeve to rotate both ways. Any ideas? Nothing looks broken to me and I think it's pushed all the way into the bearing

I tried to remove the bearing itself but it looks to be flush with the frame and I'm not sure how to get it out all the way

Brewcrafter

Quick (and stupid on my part) question - did you fully assemble the reel?  In the state you show (just the sideplate and bearing) it will rotate both ways.  An anti-reverse clutch will need to have the internal (handle) shaft in to fully "wedge" the rollers.  Turning the bearing by hand with just the sideplate there is no reason for it to not spin both ways.  Apologies if you already went that far. - john

Gfish

Yeah. Or, didja put something back in upside-down like the inside bearing sleeve?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sebastianr240

Quote from: Brewcrafter on August 09, 2023, 07:00:02 PMQuick (and stupid on my part) question - did you fully assemble the reel?  In the state you show (just the sideplate and bearing) it will rotate both ways.  An anti-reverse clutch will need to have the internal (handle) shaft in to fully "wedge" the rollers.  Turning the bearing by hand with just the sideplate there is no reason for it to not spin both ways.  Apologies if you already went that far. - john

Hey John. I assemble the whole reel and I can feel the pawls engaging instead of the clutch. No clue why it's not working

sebastianr240

Quote from: Gfish on August 09, 2023, 08:13:06 PMYeah. Or, didja put something back in upside-down like the inside bearing sleeve?

I've taken the reel apart quite a few times minutes the anti reverse bearing, I'm fairly sure everything is in order. On one of the reassembly attempts the handle locked up on me completely and I had to open back up, remove the sleeve, and try again. Handle freed up fine but still no instant AR. I could replace the whole bearing but I'm not sure how I would manage to get it out with my limited tools

sebastianr240

Update:

Resolved - for anyone that may run into the same issue, the cage was going in backwards. When it goes in properly it's a bit more difficult to push in

Donnyboat

Good news glad you fixed it, & thanks for the feed back, now some pics of the fish you catch, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Cool!
If ya ever do godda remove it from the side-plate, a socket slightly smaller than the bearing might help you tap it odda there. Godda really support the side-plate well.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!