Mark's Excellent Adventures in split ring pliers

Started by MarkT, August 10, 2023, 05:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

My better split ring pliers. I just got the Owner GP2-60's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jzumi

Which of these have you found to be superior?  Have you tried the Texas Tackle XLXH?

I'm switching out the split rings and hooks on some MadMacs...

Appreciate your insights!

El Pescador

Excellent point,

and let me ask you, Mark,

As you go around the split ring pliers wheel,

When do you use each one, for which split ring size???  and who is the manufacture?

For me, I have NOT completed a Long Range Trip, BUTT I do own 3 split-ring pliers!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Hardy Boy

Have you run out of rods/ reels to buy ??

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

Clockwise starting from the top left are HPA's, Shimano 7" power pliers, Texas Tackle XL (I have the L too), Pit Bull, Owner GP2-60. These are all used for larger split rings for rigging poppers, stick baits, flat falls, knife jigs, trolling plugs, etc. I use a lot of heavy size 10 split rings. The best style has the tip like the HPA and Owners. They easily open up,the strongest of split rings. Mustad Kaiju's, Toro Tamer (Charkbait), Jaws has pliers in this style too. The Toro Tamers are $20.

MarkT

Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 10, 2023, 03:22:21 PMHave you run out of rods/ reels to buy ??

Cheers:

Todd

Never! But you've got to keep expanding your horizon.  One of the benefits to Wi-Fi on the long range boats is that if someone has a cool/useful tool, I can order it from the boat and it'll be waiting for me at home. I've acquired several things that way!

El Pescador

Quote from: MarkT on August 10, 2023, 05:11:09 PMClockwise starting from the top left are HPA's, Shimano 7" power pliers, Texas Tackle XL (I have the L too), Pit Bull, Owner GP2-60. These are all used for larger split rings for rigging poppers, stick baits, flat falls, knife jigs, trolling plugs, etc. I use a lot of heavy size 10 split rings. The best style has the tip like the HPA and Owners. They easily open up,the strongest of split rings. Mustad Kaiju's, Toro Tamer (Charkbait), Jaws has pliers in this style too. The Toro Tamers are $20.

Thanks Mark!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Brewcrafter

Quote from: MarkT on August 10, 2023, 05:17:00 PM
Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 10, 2023, 03:22:21 PMHave you run out of rods/ reels to buy ??

Cheers:

Todd

Never! But you've got to keep expanding your horizon.  One of the benefits to Wi-Fi on the long range boats is that if someone has a cool/useful tool, I can order it from the boat and it'll be waiting for me at home. I've acquired several things that way!

Super Hardcore!  That's why when Mark talks - I shut up and listen.... - john

Squidder Bidder

The brand Toit makes an interesting split ring plier - one of the jaws has a disk shaped protuberance which slides into the division of the split ring to open it. I have a pair and they look funny but work well.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

For a 16 day trip Mark will need to take at least 10 split ring pliers :

- 30 lb
- 40 lb
- popper set
- iron set
- 60 lb
- 80 lb
- unlimited

:o  :o

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

Actually the HPA, Shimano and Owners will do it all. I'm just weak that way! Those 3 will go on my 10 days and the others will stay home. Why not, I take 3 crimpers too!

Hardy Boy

Just having fun. Its good you are prepared so I can borrow stuff.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

JasonGotaProblem

My wife doesn't understand it. I try to explain when youre hiking/camping pack light. When you're fishing bring 3. The one you like and 2 backups.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

boon

Having gone through a few I reckon the Shimano 7" pliers are the best out there, looking purely at split ring usage.
Nowadays I have a pair of them and a pair of the Texas Tackle pliers in size Small. Between them they cover me for everything from microjigs to heavy duty sillyness.