Penn Peer 209 Stuck Gear Sleeve Pin

Started by Nickels, August 11, 2023, 03:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickels

Need the wisdom of the forum here. I have an older 209 with a brass bridge and sleeve. I purchased a 3/64" pin punch to try and knock the gear sleeve pin out. It won't budge. I've soaked it in acetone. I've soaked it with WD-40. The sleeve now spins much better, but I would really like to complete the tear down and do the whole thing right by removing the old grease and then putting it all back together. Any thoughts? I've wondered about sanding down the sleeve a bit to remove any burrs, but worry about the diameter of the sleeve and messing that up. Appreciate any thoughts and tips. - Nickels

Gfish

Maybe, what you've been doing for the pin removal + heat. The sleeve would best be wire brushed, rather than sanded.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Honestly, support one flat side of the sleeve on a block of wood with a hole drilled in it.

And use a larger hammer.

It will come out.

If another pin is needed —- we can send you a new one at N/C.

Sometimes, it is OK to get a little more aggressive.

I have worked on thousands of these over the years —- and have never had one that would not come out.

Welcome aboard!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

The pin will only come out easy on one side. I use a small finishing nail to knock out pins
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crab Pot

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

I have hammers from a few ounces to 20#. 

You need to back the gearsleeve like Fred said   I have a piece of 4" steel shaft with the ends turned flat and parallel with a hole drilled it it rather that wood. 

Sometimes it helps to drive it the other way too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

nelz

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 11, 2023, 11:20:09 PMI use a small finishing nail to knock out pins

Me too, and tap it out with a small jewelers hammer. No 20 pounder needed.  ;D

Nickels

Update time. The finish nail sounded like a good first try. Nope. Bent the finish nail like a toothpick. Next up was a small little punch I found with a super pointed end and seemed to be made of hardened stainless steel. Backed it on the vice in basement at an angle and viola! Pin is now out and the gunk is now removed. Thanks guys for all the tips. I'm going to keep that little pseudo punch handy for these rebuilds. Cheers  :d

Shellbelly

Quote from: Nickels on August 14, 2023, 05:59:54 PMI'm going to keep that little pseudo punch handy for these rebuilds.
My eyesight isn't the best, but it seems one hole is always smaller than the other.  I push the pin out from the "smaller" hole and it comes out through the larger hole.  Reverse to go back in.  This makes me think that the pin has a very slight taper.  Not sure if that's a fact, but it works out for me.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)