Gearing Up Is Half The Fun

Started by Crab Pot, August 12, 2023, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Servicing my reels, rigging my lures, and seriously messing with my Mother-In-Laws OCD.

I don't know which is more fun.

Leave August 25th for my four day out of Seaforth Landing on the Pacific Voyager.

Still have 300 pound test knife rigs to tie.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

MarkT

A four day on the Pacific Voyager? I love the Pacific Voyager! I've been on it at least a dozen times. I caught 3 BFT and a bunch of rockfish on a 2 1/2 day earlier this year. Be ready for BFT, kelp paddies and bottom/rock fish.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Crab Pot

MarkT,

Rock Fishing will absolutely NOT happen.

All 16 of us are from the Santa Cruz/Bay Area and we can do that up here most of the year long.

We'll chase radio fish before bouncing jigs off Hard Heads!

MarkT

Let Mark know that no matter what you don't want to fish rockfish and you won't! We hit the 60 mile bank between BFT stops waiting for the BFT to go off again... they were a time of day thing.

Crab Pot

Captain Mark is great for giving the client what they want.

Couple years a go we were south of the boarder when the Cow Bell rang at SCI.

After a vote we headed north and burned a solid day of fishing to get there.

And a lot of diesel.

MarkT

Yes, gearing up is half the fun. I spend a lot of time going through my gear deciding what goes and what stays. It's harder with these short trips too because you don't have the space to take everything, including the kitchen sink! I've taken 14 rigs on a 10 day! You get 6 assigned spots for rods on the Excel. The rest either go up front or up top. My extras all go up top... I have a milk crate with 10 rod holders to handle the overflow. Rod holders along the house can take 8'ers... as can the Pac Voyager. I'm actually thinking about taking my 114h on my 10 days this year for trolling... it's not like you ever go into low on a Wahoo anyway!

Crab Pot

Hurricane Hillary????

Of all the names to ruin "MY" fishing trip.

Fingers crossed.

MarkT

Hilary should be way out of the picture by the 25th. Hopefully, she wii've pushed dorado and other southerners up here!

Crab Pot

I sure hope so Mark.

Going to finalize my tackle kit tomorrow.

Jigs, Iron, Snipers, I want to take them all!

Got my rod count down to seven so little victory there.  ;D 

Crab Pot

So, this Hillary thing has many people saying many things about how it'll impact my Aug 25th four day.

Some say the fish will follow the storm because it'll move warmer water north and fishing will be wide open.

Others say it won't be good for a week or two.

We'll see.

Only thing the weather guessers are saying is it "will" move east inland.

SCI may not get impacted????

All I know is I'm ready and packed.  :d

Keta

I go fishing, catching is a bonus.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

MarkT

Not catching is the same price as catching... it's just that not catching makes it feel like it wasn't worth it!

Bryan Young

In my experiences with hurricanes, growing up in Hawaii, and we see a few in my lifetime, and fishing on the intrepid filling a hurricane, fishing is often slow immediately following the hurricane but usually opens up in about a few days to a week after.  It really depends on the severity.  It doesn't looks so bad in SoCal so it may have little or no effect.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Crab Pot

Quote from: MarkT on August 20, 2023, 06:39:54 AMNot catching is the same price as catching... it's just that not catching makes it feel like it wasn't worth it!

I stand corrected Mark!  :d

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 20, 2023, 07:18:08 AMIt doesn't looks so bad in SoCal so it may have little or no effect.

Fingers crossed Bryan...