bearing retainers

Started by sebastianr240, August 13, 2023, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastianr240

The ones we've all lost.. they go flying and are never to be found again.

Are they a necessary part for the function of the reel? Or are they just there to keep the bearings in place/keep them from flying out when you open the reel?

I've assumed the latter but just wanted to hear if anyone else thinks otherwise

foakes

Quote from: sebastianr240 on August 13, 2023, 04:09:17 PMThe ones we've all lost.. they go flying and are never to be found again.

Are they a necessary part for the function of the reel? Or are they just there to keep the bearings in place/keep them from flying out when you open the reel?

I've assumed the latter but just wanted to hear if anyone else thinks otherwise

They are required to keep the bearing in a solid positioning —- so  that they do their job with no slop.  And so that the rest of the parts and functions of the reel that rely on the solid foundation of the bearing will also perform properly.

If you are ever concerned about retainers, C clips, inner keeper rings, etc. —- flying into low earth orbit —- just disassemble those parts by using a large clear baggie.

I just keep a finger on the retainer.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Good question. The pinion bearings on spinners are locked down pretty tight. Maybe an experiment on gear shaft bearings would show something. My Dawia BG has those retainers...maybe check it out...
Man! Do I need to get out on water and fish!  2.5 months without and my fishing spirit is really suffering.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!