Mitchell Booklet

Started by sandbar, August 13, 2023, 11:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I'm not sure of the vintage of this booklet.
Here are the contents.
It's a little rough, but interesting.

sandbar

Here it is in one PDF

happyhooker

It is interesting.  Given no Zip Code on the address, you know the booklet is early 1960s or older.  And, at 20 cents, that tells you it isn't new.

Frank

reelynew

Thank you for posting this.  I have been working on one of these.  I found the diagram in this booklet easier to read than the schematic for part placement.

Much appreciated,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

sandbar

Thank You Matt.
I meant to ask the AT Community if anyone could date this booklet.
There is one of these advertised on EBay now as a 1950's publication.
It has the Half Bail information included, so I'm thinking it must be vintage.
I'm glad it was helpful to you!
-Steve

jtwill98

Best I can guess based on a Guarantee Special offer card listed in George Saul's Book, is the booklet was probably printed sometime between 1952 and 1954. 

Charles Garcia & Co address change to the 53 Park Place in 1952. In 1954 they moved to 268 Fourth Avenue.

BocaSnook1

Thanks for the post on this very interesting and popular reel!
Tad

sandbar

Quote from: jtwill98 on August 15, 2023, 02:45:04 AMBest I can guess based on a Guarantee Special offer card listed in George Saul's Book, is the booklet was probably printed sometime between 1952 and 1954. 

Charles Garcia & Co address change to the 53 Park Place in 1952. In 1954 they moved to 268 Fourth Avenue.

Thank you JT.

sandbar

Gfish

2nd picture from top. Copyright 1953. Prolly a version 3. Interesting that they gave one an option between level-wind or cross-wind gears. I think the full bail models were next, version 4.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jtwill98

sandbar

Good eye Gfish.

I knew it was somewhere in the booklet,but I couldn't find it.

Are these reels considered B grade in the AT community due to not being worm gear drive?

-Steve

Barishi

I would like to share mine. I just did a quick scan using my phone. This is a booklet for a 1979 (serial number beginning with J) Mitchell 441. I think this is a European market reel, hence the three languages.

Mitchell 441A Pamphlet.pdf

Gfish

Wait a minute, in the middle of those pictures is one of a schematic. It shows both the half bail model and the full bail rotor. Musta been a transition time, 1953.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jtwill98

Also page 24 shows a picture (B) referred to as "bail pickup" in the text.