Penn 4200ss (USA)

Started by Shootr2003, August 14, 2023, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shootr2003

I picked up this reel with a bunch of stuff for $10.I had to sort out some things ,like where the spool for the Mitchell 324 was( it was installed in the Mitchell 300)I got 4 spools and cases with the 300 ,so no problem! The 4200ss is missing the spring,disc and steel washer ( drag kit) and looking in it it is actually a pretty sturdy reel however the "eccentric " switch does nothing,I thought it should be the anti reverse switch but,unless parts are missing ,there seems to be no connecting linkage and the reel seems to be a no reverse reel,this fine ,I don't fight fish with that anyway.However ,a switch that does nothing ,bugs me to no end! AND what does an "eccentric "when turned on do? Seeing the young fellow that sold me the equipment,was probably mechanically curious with no training would explain the mish mosh of parts.Whatever the reason ,I want to return this nicely mfg. reel to serviceability and some help is appreciated thanks in advance.
If a man sails the seas, with no woman around, is he still wrong?

foakes

I have the drag parts —-

On the A/R & eccentric slide parts possibly missing —- a few photos of your reel outside and inside would help determine what is missing.  I likely have those parts also.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shootr2003

Wow!
 Thank you for your help and as I frequently need reel parts thanks ,I unfortunately ordered the drag kit already and the problem with the anti reverse was a spring that needed some shaping and tweaking and I spent two hours today doing that ,it still is not perfect but works mostly ,sometimes the dog does not go fully in gear but it does work.it's too bad this reel has some good engineering and solid parts made well but the one weak point is it's anti reverse.it's probably best made into a no reverse reel and left in gear,but I like things to work the way they were made to.

Brewcrafter

Shootr 2003 - The 4200SS is one of my "goto" that I have had and worked hard since they were new.  And the weak point is not the anti-reverse.  The weak point on this reel (and the rest in the series) is the drag knob developing cracks due to the threaded metal insert.  Nothing that can't be overcome but it is definitely a trait. - john

Shootr2003

I had the anti reverse spring almost sorted out,I say almost because it would not lock all the time at the exact same spot but was fairly reliable,I very seldom use AR so I just made it an dedicated forward reel,I may tackle it again ,it's just a matter of bending the spring just right .I did polish the "tooth" a bit to encourage engagement,but it's not a real essential thing to do.I could see where cracks mitght happen at the area you mentioned.like I said they put some nice hardware into the reel I'm not sure I'd pay full price for another but for what I payed it was fun to play with it though I did use choice words a little!

Shootr2003

Is the dog spring available ? And are they usually correctly bent when new,or do they all require "tweaking"? This reel was like others in the group messed with by somebody,maybe young and mechanically curious "a good thing,but tendencies toward mistakes!

Midway Tommy

You need to make sure the spring groove is clean and lubricated. You also need to make sure the long leg of the spring is in the correct position against the body and that you have the short leg in the hole in the dawg, (not riding against the edge of the dawg). If need be you can get both the dawg & spring from e-replacement parts for $3.00 apiece, but you should be able to get your existing parts to work just fine with a little adjustment, correct positioning, cleaning and lubrication.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shootr2003

For now it's a no reverse reel the best I could was get it to engage at different points after reversing and I did not like that deal ,but knowing how I am , I will try again when the idea bugs me, maybe today , maybe next week!