I still build rods! Occasionally

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 16, 2023, 02:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

This was another 60# American tackle vertical jigging blanks that i picked up on sale when southeastern went under. This rod is for my accurate boss 270 magnum.

I actually finished it a few weeks ago but never took any pics. I went all black, which i guess is a look of its own. It just never felt done. I did fish it though. All i caught was one probably 50# ray on a hotrodded jigmaster. Fun fight and the rod did great. It deserved to look cool.

I kinda liked the subtlety of the black rod. But I cant just not decorate it. So I decided I wanted best of both worlds. So I did a base layer of silver leaf. Then I did a slightly black tinted layer with some red and dark gray mica marbling. Then another layer of black tinted epoxy. The end result.is indoors you can kinda see red poking through in a few spots. But in the sun or potentially any sufficiently bright light it hits the foil and reflects back through and looks pretty cool. Or at least I think it does.

I did a fuji LC20 LC16 HN12-10-8(x3) and a MN tip. I think I'm exhausting my supply of black fuji guides. Underwrap is pacbay black size A and black size C over. Seat is a black hooded Fuji DPSM size 24 with a lock nut. 15" EVA rear grip I think 10" foregrip and a fat eva butt cap. Surprisingly lightweight. I loke it.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Very nice job and creation there, Jason!
You might want to take it easy, on the black LC guides, they don't make them in black anymore, discontinued lol!
They only make them in cc gray now!
They're my favorite surf rod guides, and try to pick them up, when/if I see them!
They're very universal guides, especially if you want to set up surf rods, dual rung!
I gotta ask what you were using for your dryer lol?  I swear, that thing sounded just like my rotisserie set up I use for drying!

Cor

Friend of mine came fishing with his two sons, each had 2 rods.   When they were going home and were still loading up their van and rods were sticking out the rear,one closed the canopy on 6 rod tips :'(  :'(  :'(

It always makes me nervous when I see a rod in the way of a possibly closing vehicle door. :-[
Cornelis

thorhammer

Excellent work; love the stealth look. I know you know, but I'll remind you, because I know, and did it anyway- loctite screws on that type of knob. Apparently I forgot one and it came off when surf fishing, and I caught a guy at the pier with one about to come off his Avet.

oldmanjoe

I like the way you marbled this , always changing the look with angle and light ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

that fishing rod is looking good Jason

I see the first 3 guides are reversed, "normally" just the 1st one is reversed, any reason for reversing the 3 ones or just liked how it looks?

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Thanks guys, this one was a lot of fun.

John yes these definitely need loctite. I have it on the blade side screw but not the knob side screw. That may change.

Alex, I generally always put my LC guides backwards. I actually intended to put the HN guides normal orientation but spaced and did the first 2 HN backwards and just said screw it I'll do the rest that way. I'm not convinced it makes any difference unless it's a spinner. But it does look cooler backwards. So there's that.

steelfish

got it

good luck with that rod on your next fishing trip
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

knob side is what came out leaving me with a stud with no purpose lol.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thorhammer on August 17, 2023, 12:53:22 PMknob side is what came out leaving me with a stud with no purpose lol.

Oh. Good to know. I hate loctite on such a small screw. But I'm working on getting to use this on another 10hr before months end if I'm lucky. It would suuuuuuuuck to have that happen far from land.

I had the screw on my blue jigmaster's handle come loose during a fight 2 weeks ago. Thankfully it was just a large sail cat so on a jigmaster it wasn't much of a fight so I had it in before the handle came free. I mistakenly thought the reverse thread would eliminate that issue... So that got loctite the next day.

I'll likely end up bringing a spare stock jigmaster handle in the tackle bag. A Tani wrench is already there.

thorhammer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 17, 2023, 01:13:38 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on August 17, 2023, 12:53:22 PMknob side is what came out leaving me with a stud with no purpose lol.

Oh. Good to know. I hate loctite on such a small screw. But I'm working on getting to use this on another 10hr before months end if I'm lucky. It would suuuuuuuuck to have that happen far from land.

I had the screw on my blue jigmaster's handle come loose during a fight 2 weeks ago. Thankfully it was just a large sail cat so on a jigmaster it wasn't much of a fight so I had it in before the handle came free. I mistakenly thought the reverse thread would eliminate that issue... So that got loctite the next day.

I'll likely end up bringing a spare stock jigmaster handle in the tackle bag. A Tani wrench is already there.

yep i pulled one off something else right on the beach and kept on getting it. Alan's 3/0 grip fits that reel pretty well too, and more robust.

JasonGotaProblem

That blade came with a 3/0 tani handle attached. I like it but i find it heavy for a reel this size and just personally prefer a ball knob. I'll be using it on a 4/0 build in the future.

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 17, 2023, 05:05:08 PMThat blade came with a 3/0 tani handle attached. I like it but i find it heavy for a reel this size and just personally prefer a ball knob. I'll be using it on a 4/0 build in the future.

The Tani knobs are durable and great for cranking, but also agree that they can be a bit  heavy for smaller reels.  I did my own take on the design, slightly smaller, but more importantly, boring out  most of the center.  Very light, and just as durable.

I tried to get Alan interested in making some this way, but he didn't seem too enthused. 
You could probably drill out a Tani knob with a drill press.  Acetal is pretty friendly stuff.  Just leave plenty of meat around the handle screw.