Penn "Greenie" Paint

Started by jgp12000, August 16, 2023, 05:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I read an old post that Duracote made a color<Deep Sea Green>I contacted them and was informed it is $60 for a 12oz can ???

jtwill98

jgp12000

I believe so the spray can is $60 before shipping,unreal .

JasonGotaProblem

They know y'all want it. Does the price vary by color?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

Rattle cans as a whole are out of control. Went for some rustoluem metallic and it was $14; some auto colors wer 20 and up and I saw OEM auto pens north of 30. Insane.

Alex, that Penn spool red pen I sent has better investment potential than cash!!!!

Finest Kind

I have had very good results mixing my own colors with rustoleum. For example for the greenie paint start with the dark green, measure out say ten drops with a small syringe. Then add either black or white drop wise until it looks right. Make up about 5 or 6 samples, some a little lighter some a bit darker, obviously label them so you remember the amount of drops, than paint them on a sample board and wait for them to dry. If one doesn't hit it, you should have a pretty good idea which way to go. It's a bit of a PIA, but once you have the formula, you are set and you can always reproduce it.

jgp12000

FK do you use your mixture in an airbrush gun or what type of sprayer,I would like to see your setup.I would never paint a Greenie unless it was missing lots of paint and the color was exact.I don't plan on getting rid of any Greenies so to me repainting one isn't a big deal.I just would want the paint to be exactly the same if I did paint one.

Wolfram M

The spray cans of Duracoat are high because it's a 2-part paint, and the can systems for spraying it are complicated. You have to release the activator into the can, then mix thoroughly, then shoot it before it hardens.

The recommended method for Duracoat is an airbrush, and I can attest that it works very well when applied properly. It must go on THIN and you must allow it to fully cure for several days or follow the baking directions. Applying too much will make it vulnerable to chipping and denting.

If you get the 4oz bottle, or even the 1oz bottle, mix it carefully and apply with an airbrush or a miniature fan spray gun.

Brewcrafter

Wolfram - Great info, so I am guessing the "rattle can" versions are a "one and done" type of application; that you are not going to toss the can on the shelf and use it later? and if you are self mixing the liquid versions, mix up only what you need - spray it and clean the equipment ASAP? But in the liquid form if unmixed it has some shelf life when opened?  Great info here. - john

Finest Kind

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 18, 2023, 02:20:15 PMFK do you use your mixture in an airbrush gun or what type of sprayer,I would like to see your setup.I would never paint a Greenie unless it was missing lots of paint and the color was exact.I don't plan on getting rid of any Greenies so to me repainting one isn't a big deal.I just would want the paint to be exactly the same if I did paint one.
No jpg, actually I mix the rust oleum to color match than thin with mineral spirits until it flows, which is the subjective part. Then I brush it on with say a 1" high quality brush. On a reel, I'm confident it would compare favorably to a rattle can job. I have painted a few pick up trucks and several sedans with properly thinned rustoleum and a brush. Superior appearance than you could ever get with rattle cans or even a cheap body shop paint job. Better quality paint as well.

jgp12000

Fk,
Over the years I heard stories about my friend's granddad brush painting his old trucks and saw one.
His unfortunantly showed brush strokes but he was happy with it.I am sure his paintjob will still be on it after he passes.Your technique sounds more refined.I probably have never owned a brush of that caliber...

Finest Kind

Hey jpg, I have used a Purdy angled tip 2 1/2" brush with excellent results on cars and trucks. A quality brush but not too expensive. The trick is to thin the paint just enough so it flows and doesn't drag when you brush it out. Too much or too little thinners will make for a poor job. Get it right and nobody would ever know it wasn't sprayed. Personally, any vehicle I own that is more than ten years old and needs paint gets the brush!