Next year ?

Started by CooldadE, August 18, 2023, 01:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Any of y'all got plans for a 2 to 3 day trip out of San Diego in 2024 ? I took my wife to Germany this year so it's my turn next year ! It would be great to fish alongside some Ohana.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Brewcrafter

I know that for the last several year's Alan traditionally has a couple 3 day in June/July.  I know this because they always seem to "bookend" my traditional June 8-day so I haven't been able to make one....Yet!!! In looking at the SOA site it looks like I see one scheduled for 7/5, reach out to Alan. - john

alantani

the SOA skipper already gave me a couple of dates.  we have 3-day trips on june 14-17, 2024, and july 5-8, 2024.  the july trip means having to book a hotel room on the busiest and most expensive night of the entire year.  we also have a date for the october 8-day.  it's october 2-10, 2024.  the 10-day is still up in the air.  i asked evan to give me a little more time in between the two longer trips.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crab Pot

I would like to be added to the list as well or at least listed on the standby list please!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Rocket Dog

Quote from: alantani on August 18, 2023, 03:29:11 PMthe SOA skipper already gave me a couple of dates.  we have 3-day trips on june 14-17, 2024, and july 5-8, 2024.  the july trip means having to book a hotel room on the busiest and most expensive night of the entire year.  we also have a date for the october 8-day.  it's october 2-10, 2024.  the 10-day is still up in the air.  i asked evan to give me a little more time in between the two longer trips.

Thanks for providing the dates. Now time to save up.

alantani

we could also use some help for the october trips this year!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

I definitely want in on the June 14-17 trip ! Just tell me where to send my $$.  It's been too long... I'm to Po for the long trips. For me 3 or 4 days is max...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Crab Pot

Quote from: alantani on August 19, 2023, 12:23:55 AMwe could also use some help for the october trips this year!

I'd love to Alan but I need to squirrel money away way in advance of any big trip.

2024, I'm your man!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

For anyone planning on a trip; there is a ton of good advice on this forum and what I am about to say may seem obvious and almost laughable to San Diego veterans; but for someone planning a first time "travel across the country bucket list trip" I will make a couple of suggestions that others can elaborate on better.  In no particular order:
Length of trip makes a difference.  If you are on an 8-day trip you will most likely NOT be fishing for 8 days.  Those extra days are traveling to get to where really cool fish are (plan on two days out and two days back).  A 10-day will most likely fish the same places an 8 day does, just 2 more days to fish and more flexibility.
Those 3-day and shorter trips - you are fishing local.  Right now - good!  Bluefin are up here.  The downside is that anyone with a kayak and strong arms is gong to be out there in the fleet with you fishing the "local bite" (sarcasm there, but you WILL see a lot of private boats and a lot of local pressure).
Season makes a difference.  You will notice trips later in the summer tend to cost more - two reasons - the first being higher demand and the reason for higher demand - usually better fishing/more variety/more species.  It would be a freak of nature if we nailed Wahoo on my June 8-day.  On the upcoming SOA 8-day and 10-day it is a very likely possibility just due to time of year and conditions.  Yellowfin tuna in June?  Not common.  Yellowfin tuna now?  Not unusual.
In the end it is all fishing - and nothing is guaranteed.  But from what I know of the Ohana (see Keta Lee's posts)  - fishing with them is pretty much a guaranteed good time.... - john