Helsman Spar Urethane

Started by jgp12000, August 18, 2023, 01:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I prefer cork handles on my rods except for dock queens,I go with foam. The sun does a number on cork. I was using Penetrol on cork,but started using Helsman Spar Urethane.I use a foam brush ,bristle brushes seem to always leave a stray bristle that you don't see until its dry... The older I get it seems I like older things that have stood the test of time. It almost makes the rod look like a wooden handle rod.

JasonGotaProblem

It definitely looks nice. Does it change the feel of the cork?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Midway Tommy

All my cork handles have been treated with penetrol, been using it for years. It soaks in and I like the fact that they're protected but not in the least bit slick. It has lasted for 10+ years without showing any wear. While Helmsman is great stuff and preferred by a lot of boat restorers I think the urethane on cork will eventually start to peel. Personally, I would detest the slickness on my grip.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

I lightly sand down my cork rod handles with 220 sandpaper —- blow it off —- and apply a light coat of Penetrol.

Keeps the cork grip feel —- while preserving the cork —- and protecting somewhat from future staining, skin oils, and moisture issues.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Honestly I don't do anything to my cork grips. I wouldn't say I prefer it but I kinda like the look of old worn/weathered/stained cork grips. And they dont start getting super comfy til they start missing chunks.

Just my opinion.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

I recant my slipperier statement partially,the feel is the same or even better grip unless your hands are wet, if that makes any sense.

El Pescador

TOTALLY OFF THREAD TOPIC...

Tommy and/or Fred,

What is your recommendation for stained wood - here in my example Oak Threshold.

I've used over the years:

- Dura Seal Polyurethane

- Pettit Z-Spar Captains Varnish.

Nothing lasts more than 3 years, and I'll need to do something by end of this summer.

Thanks both.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jtwill98

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 18, 2023, 07:03:22 PMI recant my slipperier statement partially, the feel is the same or even better grip unless your hands are wet, if that makes any sense.

I was given a jar of U-40 Cork Seal which you can find online.  I started using it on my rods this year.  I really don't have a strong opinion on the durability or toughness.   

It appears to be OK.  After applying, it leaves the cork looking natural with the original cork feel.

Time will be the determining factor if I buy it for myself. 

jgp12000

I first used the helsman on the wood shutters I made for my house.We just restained them this year then 3 coats helsman.There is also "gelcoat" a friend used on a dining room table he made. He had some old warehouse wood with pegs showing,It looks awesome! It looks like it has a glass top 1/4" thick . I can't imagine anything could penetrate it for years.

foakes

Quote from: El Pescador on August 18, 2023, 08:09:34 PMTOTALLY OFF THREAD TOPIC...

Tommy and/or Fred,

What is your recommendation for stained wood - here in my example Oak Threshold.

I've used over the years:

- Dura Seal Polyurethane

- Pettit Z-Spar Captains Varnish.

Nothing lasts more than 3 years, and I'll need to do something by end of this summer.

Thanks both.

Wayne

If you are getting (3) years on an Oak threshold finish —- Pros will tell you that is very good.

A threshold will generally need to be refinished every 2-3 years.

NOTHING on a threshold that gets normal foot traffic will remain looking new after 3 years.  Easy to just sand down somewhat —-  blow it off —- use a little tac cloth to get any loose bits off —- brush using a semi-transparent oil-stain of your color choice.

I do a lot of woodworking using Oak..

My preferred method is to sand down to 220 —- blow it off —- stain with Watco or Min-Wax oil based stain such as Puritan or medium walnut.  Let it set up for a day —- then apply (3) coats of lacquer.  In between the 1,2,3 coats —- use "0000" steel wool after allowing to dry for an hour.  After the 3rd coat of clear lacquer —- mix Rottenstone with Peanut oil for a hand-rubbed finish recipe.  Apply to the wood —- rub it into the grain with a soft cloth.  Wipe off the Rottenstone mix with a microfiber cloth and keep wiping until a desired luster finish is achieved.

I have done this on the furniture I have built in the house, windowsills, mantles, tables, chairs, nightstands, valances.  It has held up well for 12 years.  But thresholds are a different story.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Wayne,
You're doing good @ 3 years on a threshold, especially if it's facing to the south or west. UV & sun play havoc on clear finishes. If it were mine and it needed refinishing I would sand it down to bare wood, stain it with oil base stain if it needs to be stained and give it 3 or 4 coats, lightly sanding between coats, of Helmsman Spar Urethane. A lot of boat guys have switched from Spar Varnish to Helmsman Spar Urethane. Many say the urethane lasts longer. I've used it on mahogany transoms, oars and a fillet board and it has lasted for years. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

Love Helmsan Urethane. Fred, you're slipping. Those drawers arent labeled as to what reel parts are in them :)

foakes

Quote from: thorhammer on August 19, 2023, 01:29:53 PMLove Helmsan Urethane. Fred, you're slipping. Those drawers arent labeled as to what reel parts are in them :)

When we moved up here about 13 years ago, there was a large fireplace in the corner of the living room.  It was extremely inefficient, although made entirely out granite rocks, with an un-approved and obsolete insert.  It was 3 stories tall, and cemented together with concrete, not mortar.  House was built in 1930.

Since we wanted to add new windows, and open up more of the natural outside light to the inside, and completely change the orientation of the living room —- the fireplace had to go.

Took 3 days to take it down, and we ended up renting a towable compressor and Jack-hammer, scaffolding.

We added more modern windows in its place, upstairs and downstairs — plus a very efficient free-standing woodstove on a granite slab.

Now the problem was —- no mantle to display seasonal stuff on —- and we are old-fashioned in some ways, we wanted a mantle.

Sue also wanted to display her Grandfather's drafting equipment tool box he made in the late 1800's.

So I built a mantle to encase the toolbox out of Red Oak using 1X & 8/4.

Really heavy.  Not the tool box, but the Oak mantle box.

Attached it to the studs in the wall using lag bolts and a hidden French Cleat.

We keep tea candles, remote controls, matches, and other odds & ends to reduce unsightly clutter in the drawers.

I also ran a hidden wire and plug-in's to the top of the mantle so that we could use some old fashioned lamps for display.

Sue really enjoys decorating it for the Seasons.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

El Pescador

Tommy & Fred,

Then it is YOUR advice I will follow during some warm days in Sept.

Our front door (with Jen's FAV color - Purple) faces SE, and an extension of our home (guest bedroom, you all are invited to use it when you visit here) blocks the South & West sun exposure.

Still, after 3 years the threshold REELY looks bad, let's see how Helmsman Spar Urethane holds us.  I'll post in 3 years. 

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!