Accurate 6/0 conversion

Started by wideopenoutdoors, August 19, 2023, 04:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

In 2020 my friend found an accurate 6/0 conversion for sale, after looking at it I negotiated the owner down to $75, it has a few scratches and corrosion. It has sat dormant until now. It will be getting a SS sleeve and upgraded drag, the go on a bent rod butt on a Penn international 30W rod and be used as the center reel for our trolling spread, with the new boat we spend alot of time at hull speed instead of running spot to spot. ( Diesel is expensive). Pictures this evening.
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

wideopenoutdoors

Alright, so pictures of the outside first. I didn't really get a good picture of the handle, but the main screw was held in place with two Alan head screws

wideopenoutdoors

And a picture of the inside.

Currently the plan is to add a SS sleeve, 2 ss anti reverse dogs and a 7+1 drag. I'm debating on a new ss gear set... I ordered one for the 4/0 magnum but might put it in this reel instead. (I don't want to buy another one as I'm supposed to be saving for a house)

Brewcrafter

I will preface this by saying it is your reel and nobody can tell you what you are doing is wrong.  BUT my $.02 - you know your fishery best, but if you are using as a troller I am not sure the higher gears for the money have the ROI.  Unless you are Wahoo fishing, I'm going to assume (hope) that you are hooked up and those factory steel gears will not fail, and I am not sure you need the benefit$ of high speed (your not ripping surface irons trying to get a bite).  Stainless steel sleeve is spot on.  Double dogs have been hotly debated and I won't open that can of worms (you can search it on your own).  Build it, fish it, and add that stuff later if and when something goes wrong.  Plenty of bone stock 6/0 have taken down plenty of fish. - john

Swami805

I think the SS gears would be more beneficial in this one. I'd bet it would hold a ton of heavy braid, be good for trolling.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

Are the gears a higher ratio?
It really depends on the intended use. If you are going to do anything but troll with the Magnum, I would put the gears in the magnum for the retrieve ratio. If not, the bigger reel would have more torque with the slower gears.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"