Servicing 408 bearings

Started by reelynew, August 21, 2023, 08:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hey All,

Quick question on the 408 bearings.  I soaked them in lacquer thinner and ran them through the US cleaner.  They came out looking great.  I'm not interested in opening them up, but what is the general school of thought for lubricating them?  Is it both grease and oil or just some oil or just some grease?  I've got some purple Cals on hand and can easily get some into the race.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

foakes

These are all metal, not plastic roller bearings like on 300C's or high speed 300/400 sized Mitchells.  The pinion gear is built into these.

So you did the exact right thing by using lacquer thinner and by NOT unscrewing the bearing assembly so that all of the bearings drop out.

To lube these, just drop it in a small pimento jar of synthetic oil for a few minutes.  I use WRL191S —- and also TSI321.  Both are equally good, and will stay in place without hardening or gumming up the smooth operation —- and maintain long-term protection.

Grease is not a good idea on these.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelynew

Thank you for your quick reply and explanation, Fred.

Much appreciated,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.