BG 5000 line clip

Started by Bishop808, August 22, 2023, 12:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop808

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement line clip or a stronger replacement. Mine broke off and I cant find the replacement part number. Its the little clip on the spool. Thanks

sciaenops

mine too. been using w/o it

MarkT

Call Daiwa and see if you can order it without a part number.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Porthos

The BG6500 (and probably 8000...certainly my Fin Nor/Quantum 100's and 120's) spool doesn't have the clip...just using a rubber band around the spool. The wider grocery ones that are used for broccoli (or other produce) bunches work great. Just a suggestion since the BG 5000 line clip broke once, a replacement will probably break as well in the future...

foakes

Really surprised that a plastic part on a reel would break!

I do something similar like Portho's —- except no rubber bands because they make a mess after a few years of not being used.

I use elastic hair bands from the Dollar Store. Just tie a loop at the end of your line —- slip the band through the loop —- attach the elastic band to the handle of your rod when fishing —- put it back on the spool when done.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bishop808

Thank for the replies. Daiwa doesn't sell that part you would need to replace the whole spool.

MarkT

Then hair bands are sounding good!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brewcrafter

Quote from: MarkT on August 23, 2023, 06:08:38 AMThen hair bands are sounding good!
Yes Mark!  I think the slang term (having a young daughter) is "Scrunchy" and not only do the version shown work nice for reel spools and is durable, there is a particular "wide" model that is perfect for Leader Spools.  I will have to see if I can get a brand name but that will mean going into the "Forbidden Off Limits" bathroom here in the house and that is something that we never, ever do under penalty of exile... :d - john

Porthos

Quote from: foakes on August 22, 2023, 10:28:43 PM...I do something similar like Portho's —- except no rubber bands because they make a mess after a few years of not being used...

Yes, the current formulation of rubber bands (office or grocer type) will deteriorate with time and faster when exposed to light (direct or indirect); they fare better if kept in the dark (like in a reel case) but still unlikely to last "...a few years..." I replace mine annually...a good reason to eat my veggies to have a continual supply of the grocery ones ;D

ourford

There are a couple of UK online stores that sell these conversion kits but the shipping is ridiculous. Can't believe no one sells them here. Nice simple design.
Vic

boon

Huh. That's quite an elegant re-design of that part. Hopefully Daiwa looks at it and thinks maybe they should do that from the factory.