113H gear set

Started by day0ne, March 04, 2012, 06:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

I have a 113H gear set that is drivivg me nuts. Looking at it (color, etc) it looks like stainless steel. It doesn't have the discoloration the Penn steel gears get with age, etc and doesn't have any corrosion. They came in an old 4/0 that I upgraded with a full Jvariance kit and Newell 4 to 1 gears. I tried a magnet test and the magnet picked them up, but the magnet will also pick up the Penn pinion gears too and they are supposed to be s.s. The big problem I have is the gears are standard ratio gears. Did someone long ago make standard ratio stainless 113H gears? One other thing. The center of the gear has what looks like a brass ring where it rides on the gear sleeve
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Caranx

I have one just like that. The inner bronze ring popped out but I still use it.
It came out of a 113h also.

alantani

you have a plain steel main gear from penn.  i have a couple of sets at home as well.  they will rust.  they are also magnetic.  the pinion is magnetic, even though it's stainless steel.  some stainless is magnetic. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Caranx

Hi Alan, I have three different gears for my 113h's. All have the same gear ratio.
Stainless Steel with the insert (shinny like chrome)
Steel (dark grey)
And the bronze alloy (looks like brass)

Do they sound familiar to you?

Alto Mare

On the H models ( red plates ) I believe that the gears are Stainless Steel, brass on later models. I'm almost positive that the plain steel gears were discontinued just before then, late 50's, early 60's.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Caranx on March 04, 2012, 07:25:48 AM
I have one just like that. The inner bronze ring popped out but I still use it.
It came out of a 113h also.
It's ok if the brass ring popped out, just hammer it back in or push it back in. You should be ok using it .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

the shiney steel mail gear is most likely not stainless steel. they never wanted to spend that kind of money. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Caranx

So Penn never did make a stainless steel main.
Only steel and bronze for the 113h.
I guess Newell was the only one.
Thanks for the info.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Caranx on March 05, 2012, 01:25:38 AM
So Penn never did make a stainless steel main.
I guess Newell was the only one.
Thanks for the info.
I believe that all of the anniversary series reels had stainless steel gears.

day0ne

Quote from: Caranx on March 05, 2012, 01:25:38 AM

From a Penn Bulletin:

"We have changed the material from free turning full hard brass to manganese bronze. This will alleviate the problems with the main gear teeth stripping. Manganese bronze is harder than the free turning brass. This change took effect in September of 1999. The parts numbers remain the same (005 113H). It takes a chemical analysis to determine if this part is brass or manganese bronze."
David

day0ne

So, time for the big question. Since my original  reel was an open right side plate, maroon model, and according to Penn, stands a good chance of having brass and not bronze main gears, which geat set would you choose? The steel main gear(stainless or not) or the probably brass maingear?
David

Alto Mare