Peen Reels questions

Started by jtwill98, August 23, 2023, 01:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwill98

I recently picked up some Penn Ultralight reels as a lot and had a couple of questions related to the attached picture.

I start with the Greenies, has anyone run across one with the light-peach colored spool knob and reel handle knob as pictured in the bottom left? 

Also, I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a new plate with decal for $35, so I created a new plate from anodized .5 mil aluminum as seen pictured in the bottom right. I created it using the one next to it with the decal as a template. It belongs and needs to be glued to the reel directly above it in the picture. 

Should I leave the plate black, look for a decal or have my wife simply print Penn (logo) in red lettering on her cricut?  I'm leaning towards the latter.   

ExcessiveAngler

I have a better idea lol!
I might, paint the new plate, a different color and then, put something neat on there!
Maybe a team logo, something symbolic, or some kind of old saying? 
Just an idea lol

foakes

Here is a thought, John —-

Glue on a steel cent —- it fits perfectly.

The year was 1943 —- 80 years ago.

Copper was being used for the War effort —- so steel was substituted for (1) year.

This also has no Mint mark —- which means it was minted in Philadelphia —- home of Penn Reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I think the drag & handle knobs on the bottom left reel are just discolored from oil, grease, dirt & grime.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reeltyme

Agreed Tommy, and Fred, love the penny idea, neat!

jtwill98

Quote from: foakes on August 23, 2023, 04:27:31 AMGlue on a steel cent —- it fits perfectly.

The year was 1943 —- 80 years ago.

I like the idea.  I had not thought of a penny or ball marker from a favorite golf resort.  I was thinking of a sport logo.  So many choices.  I still need to make one more plate for another friend. 

You have a bunch of those steel 1943 pennies. I only have maybe 10-15. Now, if you only had a copper 1943 penny you'd be willing to donate!  :-)

jtwill98

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 23, 2023, 04:29:37 AMI think the drag & handle knobs on the bottom left reel are just discolored from oil, grease, dirt & grime.

I thought of that but the color seems too consistent on top and bottom of the spool knob and with the reel handle knob.

I read somewhere that there were white, amber, black and other colored knobs. I'm fairly sure the text was referring to bait casters and not spinners. 

It's not important, I was just curious.

Finest Kind

No way I ever would have realized the medallion was the same size as a penny! There is a lot of potential for customization there. Now I hope the medallion falls off my greenie!

foakes

Quote from: jtwill98 on August 23, 2023, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 23, 2023, 04:29:37 AMI think the drag & handle knobs on the bottom left reel are just discolored from oil, grease, dirt & grime.

I thought of that but the color seems too consistent on top and bottom of the spool knob and with the reel handle knob.

I read somewhere that there were white, amber, black and other colored knobs. I'm fairly sure the text was referring to bait casters and not spinners. 

It's not important, I was just curious.

The weird flesh color is caused by the aging of the plastic crank knob & drag knob.  As you can see —- where the drag knob was not exposed to the air or UV's —- it is still white.

The black drag knobs & black crank knobs come on the "Z" series —- and can be switched out, if desired —- however, it takes a little surgery to do this if not changing the silver to gold —- since the crank knob is pressed or riveted on —- not using a screw.

If I had a 1943 copper cent —- I probably wouldn't glue it on a reel —-

The last good example of a copper 1943 1¢ coin went for $1.7M.

I would need to charge a little extra for the reel.

To understand how the accident happened, you have to know something about how coins are made. They begin as 10-foot rolls of metal that look like huge paper towel rolls. Coin blanks are cut from these sheets with what looks like a giant cookie cutter. The blanks are then washed and heated and sent through a machine called an Upsetting machine that shapes the edge of each blank, creating the coin rim. Then the blanks are dumped into hoppers that carry them on train tracks to the coin press room. There the hoppers dump the blanks onto a conveyor belt leading to the coin press.

In 1943 mint workers thought they had made sure than no 1942 copper blanks remained in the hoppers. They missed some because 1943 copper cents were later found in circulation. None are known in new condition.

Genuine 1943 copper cents are rare and hard to find, and they can be extremely valuable. In 2010, a 1943-S graded MS62BN sold for a world record price for any U.S. small cent of 1.7 million dollars!

I think an Indian Head penny would also work pretty well.

We were back in Freeport, Maine a few years ago.  Went into a peddlers warehouse.  Guy was selling these steel cents for $10 a hundred.  Bought all he had (200), plus a bunch of wheat Pennies at $2 for 100.  Bought all he had.

Anyone needs a steel penny —- let me know, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jtwill98

Penn 716 Pamphlet

jtwill98

Quote from: foakes on August 23, 2023, 05:47:59 PMThe weird flesh color is caused by the aging of the plastic crank knob & drag knob.  As you can see —- where the drag knob was not exposed to the air or UV's —- it is still white.

The black drag knobs & black crank knobs come on the "Z" series —- and can be switched out, if desired —- however, it takes a little surgery to do this if not changing the silver to gold —- since the crank knob is pressed or riveted on —- not using a screw.

If I had a 1943 copper cent —- I probably wouldn't glue it on a reel —-

I agree with your and Tommy's color assessments, now that I see you pictures. I ran out to the shop and remove the spool knob and I was wrong, it is white underneath.

Regarding my copper penny remark, I thought I indicated I knew the value of the penny when left the smiley at the end of the line. 

I didn't know the story behind the reason the reason copper were minted. Thanks for sharing.     

El Pescador

Fred!

I would like to take you up on your offer for a free steel penny for my wife, Jennifer.

Reason why, she collects Press-a-pennies on our travels as so friends & family.

As of today, she has collected 1,107 pennies to date.  And it all started with her FAV Aunt, who called Jennifer... Niffers... and now Jen has all our nieces & nephews, plus our 3 Beautiful and growing grandchildren in Astoria, NY collecting them as well.

Thank you so much from Jennifer.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Quote from: El Pescador on August 23, 2023, 06:48:04 PMFred!

I would like to take you up on your offer for a free steel penny for my wife, Jennifer.

Reason why, she collects Press-a-pennies on our travels as so friends & family.

As of today, she has collected 1,107 pennies to date.  And it all started with her FAV Aunt, who called Jennifer... Niffers... and now Jen has all our nieces & nephews, plus our 3 Beautiful and growing grandchildren in Astoria, NY collecting them as well.

Thank you so much from Jennifer.

Wayne

Will do, Wayne —-

On the way to Jennifer.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.