Torium HG service troubleshooting

Started by flyingsosa, August 23, 2023, 07:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingsosa

Hi guys,
I decided to service my torium (black model) which had no problems except for a slow freespool and when I put everything back together and noticed a weird sound that came as soon as I stopped turning the handle. The sound only comes when its in gear and the spool is facing inwards.

I posted on bloody decks and it has a video of the sound
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/torium-hg-service-troubleshooting.823838/

I think that the sound is coming from the spool shaft rubbing on the pinion gear. When I take the sideplate off and try to make the sound by spinning the spool, sometimes the pinion gear would lift a little and the sound becomes much more obvious.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you!!

Cor

I am not able to identify the sound.
I would start off by checking if the cast control cap is not too tight and if loosening that improves the situation.   That would give an indication of how to proceed.

Judging from your explanation you have the reel in gear when you spin it by hand as in the video, so you drag also comes in to play and perhaps many other components.
Cornelis

boon

If the reel is "in gear" then the pinion gear is meshed to the cross-pin on the spool shaft and the two are turning together.

I have an "original" Torium with very worn gears that does the same thing, only much worse.
In your case I'm almost certain it's something in the geartrain, the "what" is a bit tricker though.