How to determine gear sleeve thread type?

Started by pjstevko, August 24, 2023, 04:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

The star on my CC/Tib 501XN is too big and the ends of the star poke into my hand when jigging. I'd like to replace it with a smaller star but don't know what thread pattern I need to order. I think the internal gears came from Cortez Conversions.

How do I determine what I need to buy?

Pj

Bryan Young

PH, please take a photo of the threads on the gear sleeve?  If it's course, there are a lot of older Penn reels that uses smaller stars. If it's fine threads, then possibly a Newell 200 series star is smaller than Penn's 505 star.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pjstevko

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 24, 2023, 06:19:46 AMPH, please take a photo of the threads on the gear sleeve?  If it's course, there are a lot of older Penn reels that uses smaller stars. If it's fine threads, then possibly a Newell 200 series star is smaller than Penn's 505 star.

Thanks for the info Bryan.

I'll take a pic when I get some time over the weekend.

pjstevko

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 24, 2023, 06:19:46 AMPH, please take a photo of the threads on the gear sleeve?  If it's course, there are a lot of older Penn reels that uses smaller stars. If it's fine threads, then possibly a Newell 200 series star is smaller than Penn's 505 star.

Pics... see how far below the reel frame the star goes,  that's why it pokes my hand when jigging.  I think I need a smaller or less pointy star

jurelometer

If you have some calipers, just measure off a section of the gear sleeve and count the threads.

The coarse sleeve is 24 TPI.  I am pretty sure that the fine is 32 TPI.  12 full turns over half an inch is course.  More turns means it will be fine threaded.

You can also use a thread gauge, or even print out a paper one like this https://www.boltdepot.com/Fastener-Information/Printable-Tools/US-and-Metric-Thread-Sizes.pdf

Just make sure that you don't select a print option that resizes/scales the image.

One other idea: on a solid stainless star like that, you could just grind down the points to make a smaller star. There is no finish to damage.  Just keep dipping it in water so that you don't heat color the ends.

If the star is poking your hand when winding, you either have some huge mitts, or you are holding the knob funny.  But I do agree with you.  That  was one of Sal's favorite shapes and sizes, but I also felt it was a bit on the spiny side.  I liked the curvy Ocean City style the best, but I am all out of those.

-J

pjstevko

Quote from: jurelometer on August 29, 2023, 12:03:23 AMIf you have some calipers, just measure off a section of the gear sleeve and count the threads.

The coarse sleeve is 24 TPI.  I am pretty sure that the fine is 32 TPI.  12 full turns over half an inch is course.  More turns means it will be fine threaded.

You can also use a thread gauge, or even print out a paper one like this https://www.boltdepot.com/Fastener-Information/Printable-Tools/US-and-Metric-Thread-Sizes.pdf

Just make sure that you don't select a print option that resizes/scales the image.

One other idea: on a solid stainless star like that, you could just grind down the points to make a smaller star. There is no finish to damage.  Just keep dipping it in water so that you don't heat color the ends.

If the star is poking your hand when winding, you either have some huge mitts, or you are holding the knob funny.  But I do agree with you.  That  was one of Sal's favorite shapes and sizes, but I also felt it was a bit on the spiny side.  I liked the curvy Ocean City style the best, but I am all out of those.

-J
Yeah I don't have any calipers....

Swami805

Looks like fine threads to me but I'm not 100% sure
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Quote from: pjstevko on August 29, 2023, 12:19:34 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on August 29, 2023, 12:03:23 AMIf you have some calipers, just measure off a section of the gear sleeve and count the threads.

-J
Yeah I don't have any calipers....

So print out the thread gauge.   

Or grind the star.

If you want to guess, I would with go  Swami.  It looks like fine.  I think that is one of my stainless stars by the look of it.   I was making them to Sal's specifications, and he mostly wanted fine.

-J

pjstevko

I believe the star is titanium from a limited run done a while back. I'm not sure it would easy to cut or grind the star.

I think I'm just gonna order a new fine thread star. Now to find a nice design to fit the reel!