Starter reel

Started by MassBay, March 04, 2012, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuvole

Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2012, 03:35:54 PM
Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2012, 03:16:26 PM
you know, lee, i've always wondered why the 320 gti in particular was so bad.  i've seen more 320 pinions rusted to the spool shafts than all other reels combined. why is that?

I always assumed it was due to the deckhands using a raw water washdown hose on the reels but it sounds like it wasn't just the charter boat reels that had this problem.  The reels were for trolling so I greased the inside of the pinions but they still stuck occasionally.

It may be reel storage issue, if they pack their reel in plastic box/bag with salty lines, salty air will screwup everything.

alantani

i was wondering if it had something to do with with particular grades of stainless steel used in both the spool shaft and the pinion gears.  i have not seen that as being as rampant a problem with other penn reels.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

The shafts mostly were good but there was iron rust on the pinion gears.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fodf

Massbay,
I have a 209 that I just cleaned up and overhauled with new drags.  I bought it for my son in 1991 and would be pleased to pass it along to you if you'd like. If so, pm me with your home addy.
Eric

wallacewt

hi massbay
if it was my 8yr old boy id go with a spin reel for him
you could teach him to cast in less than 1/2 hour
dont have to worry about line laying on the spool.
can throw an unweighted bait when needed.
use spectra.
cheaper than an overhead and easier to use
then upgrade later on when his confidence is up
cheers

MassBay

This site (and members) are great! Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.
I will take them all into consideration and let you know how we make out before we hit the water.

MassBay

MassBay

Keeping all your suggestions in mind I ended up going with a gently used 320gti on a 6'6" MH Penn Slammer for my son..... and ended up with 5 more for me!  ;D What can I say the price was right...... (actually a friend is taking four of them).
I broke all the reels down (thanks Alan!) and found no issues with rust on the pinion gear or shaft. It was pretty obvious the reels were well cared for so I think I did pretty well. I just need to get a power handle and we will be ready to hit the water. Thanks again everybody.

MassBay

Bill B

Good deal....As a dad of three boys...the best part is taking them fishing, I have many fond memories of my dad taking me and i hope my three will have them too...I know my middle one will tell you about every trip he "caught more fish than my dad".  Cherish the memories, the equipment is secondary...two of them on a recent 1/2 day boat
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!