Starter reel

Started by MassBay, March 04, 2012, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MassBay

I rediscovered cod fishing last year with my two sons and we are all looking forward to another year on the water.  We started from scratch last year and have since 'ebayed' a couple of the older Senators (113h/112h). I still need to pick up one more real for my 8yo and was hoping to get some recomendations for good levelwind reel that wont wear him out. We typically fish in +/- 200' of water with 16oz of lead. Fish average about 5-10 pounds(up to 30lb), but 20lb(?) dogfish are very common. He has a difficult time managing his spool (therefor the levelwind) and tends to really fade after the first 100'. I am not sure if I should be looking for something geared on the low side (2.8/1) to make the cranking easier, or something faster (4+/1) so he is cranking less. A smaller real would be nice too, but I plan to stick with mono(30lb) for now to help with the inevitable tangles so capacity becomes a bit of an issue. Do any of you "Dads" ou there have first hand experience or suggestions. I dont mind spending a little more if it will make a big difference, but keep in mind the reel is intended for an 8yo.

Thanks,
MassBay

Keta

Older reel, Penn 209/309.  New, I'd look into a Penn Fathom LW.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CooldadE

I agree with Lee a 209 or 309 would work well. I'm not sure but if you could get a power handle for ether of those reels it would make is easier also. Another option would be a Penn 350 Leveline (older reel not in production) But I believe it has a smaller drag system. I have a couple and have caught fish to #135 on them. I'm probably lucky the reel didn't blow up in my hands on that one. My 2 cents
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

alantani

i'd go with a 320 gt2 and a penn senator power handle. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

IMHO, 16oz weight is too much for the level wind. You better off stick with spinning reel.

Nessie Hunter

Daiwa has a series of Saltist Level Wind reels that would easily work with 16oz weights...
May even be overkill, but TANKS, full metal jacket reels..   Easy as pie to work on also..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 04, 2012, 08:39:13 PM
i'd go with a 320 gt2 and a penn senator power handle. 

For a while the charter boats that have me service their reels used a lot of these.  I got to the point I did not want to do them but they were well abused reels and took the abuse well.  I think one boat sprayed them down with salt water at the end of the day and fished them hard the next day for the entire season.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mackereljoe

I'll take a look at a Penn Fathom 20 and Shimano Tekota 600. 

MassBay

I was originally looking at the Penn 209 and the 320 but was leaning toward an older model 209 based on its longevity. The other suggestions are a little out of the price range for what I had in mind for a reel for an 8yo.
I like Alans suggestion regarding the power handle. I assume that is to help offset the the effects of the higher hear ratio of the 320... correct? Part number?
Keta, I am intersted in what you said about the 320s withstanding abuse and yet not wanting to service them. Is that because they were a pain or did you just want a change? Would you take a 209 over the 320?
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions

Bryan Young

Well, I would go with the 320 GTi.  It takes a licking and keeps on spinning.  I too have worked on some charter boat reels, and they were just bad as you can get, but they worked failry well considering the condition they were in.

Since you are drop fishing, I would recommend packing the bearings with grease or at least corrosionX HD, and doing a pre-service to lightly grease things up, including grease drags.  Then you shouldn't have any problems.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: MassBay on March 06, 2012, 02:45:01 AM
Keta, I am intersted in what you said about the 320s withstanding abuse and yet not wanting to service them. Is that because they were a pain or did you just want a change? Would you take a 209 over the 320?
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions

It was the total lack of daily maintenance on the reels not the quality that I got tired of.  Almost every reel came in with the pinion gears rusted to the spool shafts.

Mark Twain

alantani

you know, lee, i've always wondered why the 320 gti in particular was so bad.  i've seen more 320 pinions rusted to the spool shafts than all other reels combined. why is that?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

All of the reels described above will work.  A "Dad" I know uses 309's for both of his kids, one of them about your son's age.  That being said, another one to consider is the 320's smaller brother, the Penn 310GTI or 310GT2 (basically same reels).  The 310 is more compact than the 309/320 and has bigger drags than a 209.  I've caught smallish albacore with mine.  As Alan suggested, I have a #24-56 power handle on mine, too.

Check out Alan's tutorials on this site.  Just about all of these reels are covered.

BTW, I'm rather biased and lean towards Penn.  I have a #9, 309, 310GTI, 320GT2, and 350 and like them all.  The 320 is my wife's and I'm not allowed to use it. ;D  She uses it for everything.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2012, 03:16:26 PM
you know, lee, i've always wondered why the 320 gti in particular was so bad.  i've seen more 320 pinions rusted to the spool shafts than all other reels combined. why is that?

I always assumed it was due to the deckhands using a raw water washdown hose on the reels but it sounds like it wasn't just the charter boat reels that had this problem.  The reels were for trolling so I greased the inside of the pinions but they still stuck occasionally.

Mark Twain

Nuvole

I own a 310 gti, not sure why I buy it... I guess its the least expensive US made reel I manage to find over my side of the pond. I use it as a live bait reel when my ship goes to anchorage. Its a simple reel and easy to maintain. But then the combination of level wind and big catch give me bad dreams. But guess that's just me.

MassBay,

Whatever you end up buying for your 8 y/o son. I suggest you keep clear of heavy braided lines and level drag, unless you are not fishing yourself and on full time nanny while your son are fishing.