How to rate a rod

Started by alantani, August 25, 2023, 09:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

So is this your rating method, or if I bought  a Seeker, UC, or other reputable make rod that was marketed as a 100lb rod for the SoCal long range market, should it test out in this ballpark?

-J

MarkT

If I have to max out the rod to get 30# of drag, it's not a 100# rod! I want a 100# rod to fish 33# at strike with some more to give for the end game. I've yet to see an XH rod that does that... and this one doesn't.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

My interpretation is that this would be a 60# class rod with 20# at strike and 30# at sunset or 30% at strike and 50% at full or sunset.

Please correct me if I'm missing something.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 26, 2023, 07:45:43 AMMy interpretation is that this would be a 60# class rod with 20# at strike and 30# at sunset or 30% at strike and 50% at full or sunset.

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

correct!

alantani

Quote from: MarkT on August 26, 2023, 02:51:22 AMIf I have to max out the rod to get 30# of drag, it's not a 100# rod! I want a 100# rod to fish 33# at strike with some more to give for the end game. I've yet to see an XH rod that does that... and this one doesn't.

i only pulled it down to half way.  i spoke to oliver solis (the owner of fishing syndicate) and he says that this rod will break with 90 pounds of dead weight when the rod is at a 45 degree angle. 

alantani

Quote from: jurelometer on August 26, 2023, 01:22:03 AMSo is this your rating method, or if I bought  a Seeker, UC, or other reputable make rod that was marketed as a 100lb rod for the SoCal long range market, should it test out in this ballpark?

-J

also correct!!!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2023, 09:43:26 PMhttps://youtu.be/D-gHlQmpRu0?feature=shared

so, fishing syndicate is trying to move you away from UC rods  ::)  ::)  or they just want your "connections" and comments to show their rods to the world?

few years ago I heard they were using UC blanks on their rods but laters I read somewhere that they now have their own line of blanks.
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I thought FS started with Calstar blanks then went to Rainshadow.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on August 26, 2023, 05:54:28 PMI thought FS started with Calstar blanks then went to Rainshadow.

I think you're right about FS staring with Calstar blanks not UC blanks

The Baja Guy

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Quote from: steelfish on August 26, 2023, 06:05:56 PM
Quote from: MarkT on August 26, 2023, 05:54:28 PMI thought FS started with Calstar blanks then went to Rainshadow.

I think you're right about FS staring with Calstar blanks not UC blanks

didn't know that.

alantani

Quote from: steelfish on August 26, 2023, 05:26:37 PM
Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2023, 09:43:26 PMhttps://youtu.be/D-gHlQmpRu0?feature=shared

so, fishing syndicate is trying to move you away from UC rods  ::)  ::)  or they just want your "connections" and comments to show their rods to the world?

few years ago I heard they were using UC blanks on their rods but laters I read somewhere that they now have their own line of blanks.

nah, nothing like that.  i also own calstar rods seeker, united composites and phenix.  they're all good.