Latest Lubricants

Started by sandbar, August 25, 2023, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

I've been using Reel Butter on some reels and Penn Blue on others.
Is there anything new out there for gears that has given better results?
-Steve

Hytekrednek

Ive been using the blue yamaha marine grease with great results. The quantum hot sauce grease I used before is horrible unless you clean and regrease every 6 months. It separates and hardens in around a year.

johndtuttle

Quote from: sandbar on August 25, 2023, 10:22:37 PMI've been using Reel Butter on some reels and Penn Blue on others.
Is there anything new out there for gears that has given better results?
-Steve

define "better results"?

Reel Butter is a very light grease that is typically used on the gears of light freshwater reels to keep them free spinning and "smooth". But they don't require much in the way of corrosion protection not being exposed to salt. It works fine for it's intended purpose. Its more durable than oil and is not as heavy as stiffer greases but not as durable as it might be for most saltwater gear applications. We also generally prefer something with anti-salt additives for that application.

What are your goals for your gear lubrication?

Midway Tommy

Almost every spinning reel I have opened that had made use of Reel Butter was smooth, worked just fine and had been pretty well protected. Personally, I think it's a little thin for my liking, but it seems to have done its job efficiently.

I'm a SuperLube fan. It has a little more substance than Reel Butter and is rated as saltwater protective, too, so that's my go to grease.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

G8trwood

Been using 301, corrosionX lube and grease and Cals.  Was getting too confusing before. I have limited brain cells left.

alantani

it might be less a matter of what you use and more a matter of just using something. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hytekrednek

Quote from: alantani on August 26, 2023, 09:08:05 PMit might be less a matter of what you use and more a matter of just using something. 
I am not a pro reel fixer,  but I have been doing all of my reel repairs and maint. for around 30 years. I also worked on many reels for friends and family. I agree with the above post. Most reels that had issues had either old dry grease or nearly no grease.

I will say just make sure you pick a quality grease with a good reputation such as Cal's, Yamaha, Shimano grease, etc. There are a few reel greases that just plain suck, but they are still likely better than no grease. I am only familiar with freshwater reels and their maint. Dealing with saltwater is a very rare thing for me.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Hytekrednek on August 26, 2023, 10:05:41 PM
Quote from: alantani on August 26, 2023, 09:08:05 PMit might be less a matter of what you use and more a matter of just using something. 
I am not a pro reel fixer,  but I have been doing all of my reel repairs and maint. for around 30 years. I also worked on many reels for friends and family. I agree with the above post. Most reels that had issues had either old dry grease or nearly no grease. Replaced regularly and not a complaint heard.

I will say just make sure you pick a quality grease with a good reputation such as Cal's, Yamaha, Shimano grease, etc. There are a few reel greases that just plain suck, but they are still likely better than no grease. I am only familiar with freshwater reels and their maint. Dealing with saltwater is a very rare thing for me.

Precisely right my friend. Anything is better than nothing. Vasoline was used for years to pack 704Z spinners so that people could swim with them and crank underwater (not a seal to be found on those old work horses).  Pretty sure that's an off label use! :P

Replaced in a timely fashion anything will do.

However:

The consensus list of can't go wrong oils and greases (as long as they are replaced when needed):

Anything with Diawa, Penn or Shimano on it is perfectly fine for general saltwater use.

Marine Bearing Grease (Yamaha has stood the test of time but any will do). Corrosion-X grease is also a good heavy duty grease.
Cal's. (Tan = Thick, Purple = light or cold weather)'
Super Lube for a little lighter and non-toxic grease.

TSI321 for a "super speed oil". Cut with 100% Isopropyl alcohol as it suits you. There is nothing out there faster and as durable for speed.
CorrosionX/ReelX/GunX (it's all the same) for a "workhorse oil" and rust remover. Many a bad part rehabbed with it.

Anything outside of that list and you are just making work for yourself re-inventing the wheel. Which might be fine, its a hobbty, enjoy experimenting!  :d

Bill B

Sal gave me a recipe for his grease.  I've been using it with good success.

Valvoline marine grease cut with automatic transmission fluid to the consistency required.  Kind of a PITA to mix but have had no separation with stuff I mixed 1 year ago.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jtwill98

Has anyone experimented with Fluid Film as a lubricate in reels.  It is a lanolin based lubricate used for for automotive lifts and as an undercoating vehicles because it stays in place. 

I know it stinks for a week or more, as I use it for my car lift but is a solid lubricate, stays put  and is much better than white grease with respect to longevity.

I haven't tried it myself on reels. I am just wondering if someone had experience and if so, what were their thoughts.   

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jtwill98 on August 28, 2023, 06:19:51 PMHas anyone experimented with Fluid Film as a lubricate in reels.  It is a lanolin based lubricate used for for automotive lifts and as an undercoating vehicles because it stays in place. 

I know it stinks for a week or more, as I use it for my car lift but is a solid lubricate, stays put  and is much better than white grease with respect to longevity.

I haven't tried it myself on reels. I am just wondering if someone had experience and if so, what were their thoughts.   

Be the Guinea Pig & let us know how things end up.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

alantani

Haven't tried it. As old as I am, it's hard to get me to change anymore. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: alantani on September 02, 2023, 02:57:17 PMHaven't tried it. As old as I am, it's hard to get me to change anymore. 

I agree

There are a few really good lubricants that will do the job most of us expect out of them. I think that, for most of us anyway, if we find something that is doing a really good job without any weak points we generally hesitate to switch, mainly because "why try to reinvent a wheel" that is working as it should and up to our expectations. If we switch to some sort of other application or need, that might be a different story or reason to try something different.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

jurelometer

Fluid Film smokes at 212F, so unless you want your reel to smell like burning mutton, you might want to keep it off of the drag stack.  Dropping point is also low ~100F.

Otherwise looks like an interesting choice if corrosion protection is your main concern.

Let us know how it works out.

-J

jtwill98

I just serviced my Shimano AX-UL reel with fluid film a few nights ago.  The reel was dry.

Fluid film being so light and oily, I thought to myself, why not. It's smooth as silk now.

I might do the other AX-UL backup reel, if so I'll take pictures.

Being so light, I wouldn't use if for heavier reels or gears. As a coating for corrosion on bail springs and other exposed parts, I might.