Spool shaft attachment

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 30, 2023, 06:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

The stand on a 349/349H has 6 screws, the 49 only 4.  The 349/349H sideplates are thicker and I am not sure on spool width.
All of the stock 349/349H reels I have seen had heavy bronze spools.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

The distance from the the bushing in the sideplate to the spool lip has to be correct on both sides, the lip width and taper should be close enough so that it doesn't eat line. the gap for the spool lip in the frame has to be able to accommodate the 49 Al spool dimensions.  If it comes out as a hack after a lot of work...

Some folks are more of the trial and error types, but I would rather eliminate some of the iterations, with a bit of measuring and forethought.

At least do a bit of extra inspection and measuring on the 349 spool and sideplates compared to a 149, and also determine which direction to press out the old spindle.  And since the new spindle needs to be pressed in accurately, you might want to see if you can talk Wolfram into doing all of the arbor press work.

If the right spindle diameter is the same (I think that only  the left is), a more interesting custom part would be a new 149 sideplate that accommodates a 349 bridge.  But I think that the 149 spindle might be too small a diameter for the 349 pinion.  And then back to square one.

Long odds on this one, I am afraid. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

-J