Spool shaft attachment

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 30, 2023, 06:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

This might be crazy talk, but that's part of what makes this place fun.

How is the spool shaft attached on a conventional with a fixed shaft spool?

I was hoping this thread could be somewhat general but here's my specific example:

The spools of a 49 and a 349 are of very similar dimensions, but their shafts are different. A there's an aluminum spool for a 49 (and i own one) but there's not one for a 349, aftermarket ones exist but are hard to find. What would I need to do to remove the shaft from a 3 piece 349 spool to try to insert it into an aluminum spool from a 49?

I know it's crazy talk. I know there's no guarantee of success but there is a fair chance of ruining 2 vintage spools. I'm just wondering what the steps would be if I decided to forego all reasonable caution and try it anyway.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

I think that the spindles and corresponding holes on the star drag aluminum spools are tapered.  Either way, there is a specific interference for the fit.  Highly unlikely that a random spindle not intended to be press fit would work, even if you were successful at extracting the original, which would probably require heat and a reasonably beefy arbor press.

And do you really want to invest in a 349?  The hotrodded (and sometimes narrowed?) 349s were a specialty reel back in the pre-braid days, when folks wanted high speed retrieve for fish like wahoo, but didn't need a great casting reel.  With only lower gear ratios available in stronger reels at the time,  a larger spool diameter increased the retrieve per crank, and a narrower reel cut down on weight.  IMHO, while there may be both practical (wire line trolling?) and sentimental reasons for using these reels today, for jigging and and high speed cranking there are superior alternatives that are right sized for fishing braid. Some classics in that list, too.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

I have no practical reason to do it. It's just an interesting project. I like the 349 because I like narrow reels in general unless it has a levelwind. But I hate 3 piece spools in general.

It didnt hurt that I already had clean 349 components as well as all steel innards and a 5 stack for it lying around. Not having to buy any components made it easy to justify building it. But then my circumstances aren't common.

I would likely try to get a new spindle made to 349 dimensions. The spool i have has a slightly bent spindle anyway.

You once made an analogy about hooking up these old reels is like doing a hotrod build with a '57 Chevy. Nothing will turn it into a honda civic or a 2023 F150. You do it because you wanna own/drive a '57 Chevy, even though you know you're putting in more effort to do something a civic or F150 might already be better at for less. I still think it's a great analogy.

jurelometer

Thanks. 

I see two Newell 359 spools right now on that famous auction site: $59/BO and $68, both with free shipping.  Less hassle/cost than getting a spindle machined and hardened, not to mention all the arbor press work/gamble.

-J

Tunanorth

Quote from: jurelometer on August 30, 2023, 10:01:18 PMThanks.

I see two Newell 359 spools right now on that famous auction site: $59/BO and $68, both with free shipping.  Less hassle/cost than getting a spindle machined and hardened, not to mention all the arbor press work/gamble.

-J

No such thing as a 359.
Clarify for OP if its a 349 or a 259.

Tunanorth

One big difference in the shafts would be that the 349 is ball-bearing and IIRC the 49 is not.
Ditto that outside of wire line trolling, the stock 349 or even the "widened" "Wahoo Special" are pretty awkward to fish with.
FWIW, the long-discontinued 349 size has been revived with the introduction of the Fathom II "60N".

Keta

Hey Steve, all of my 349's with stock sideplates have plain bearings not ball.

Jason, the usual spool problem on 349/349H reels is warped spools.  I have a pile of bad bronze spools.  I have had zero success streightening them.  I will try to dig up a good bronze one for you if you do not find a aftermarket alluminum one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Quote from: Tunanorth on August 30, 2023, 10:44:20 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on August 30, 2023, 10:01:18 PMThanks.

-J

No such thing as a 359.
Clarify for OP if its a 349 or a 259.

Ha! Obvious typo. 349

-J

JasonGotaProblem

I saw those. One is the wide version. Waiting for other seller to get back from vacation to tell me if the other is standard width or wide. Then i just need to convince my wife i need it.

These are bushings not ball bearings on the spool ends.

Gfish

"359" that's it! A name for my modified 259. 2-bars, one extra post on top, a 113H 3-screw stand, steel 3-position handle, 5 drag washers steel guts and double dogs. Still only 3.3:1 gears and a measly 21"/turn. But pretty much a different reel now. Never have "cast live bait" with it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wolfram M

Jason, can you send me a drawing?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wolfram M on September 01, 2023, 02:52:58 PMJason, can you send me a drawing?
I sure can. Just gotta dust off the trusty caliper and get to work.

Not gonna lie, when I said something about getting a replacement shaft made, you were the person i had in mind to ask.

ExcessiveAngler

jurelometer

If you dig around on https://alantani.com/index.php/board,8.0.html, you should find some threads on arbors removed from aluminum spools on other models. Don't know if any  healthy arbors were removed or just slipping ones.

And you are going to need a bunch of other dimensions. Don't forget the spindle ends to inside spool lip on each side of the 349.

To know for sure if a 49 Al spool(minus the spindle) will actually fit properly in a 349 frame and sideplate, the safest bet would be to compare the dimensions to an aftermarket Newell 349 spool.  But then you will already have the spool that you need :)

——

BTW, that other board is probably the right one for this thread.  We may want to move it.

AFAIK, this board is for posts from and questions to Steve and Tony at Penn.  Probably don't need to have them sent alerts for these type of questions  and answers.  We could also probably do a bit better job of making this site's board listings and home pages be a bit more descriptive.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Truth be told i was (perhaps overly optimistically) hoping Tony might be able to give some insight.

Nearest i can tell, the spools have identical diameters. Some have said they're identical in all but shaft dimensions but I can't agree with that. The 49 spool is a tad narrower. In fact they use a different stand and posts. But i have both already (including shiny new ones) and was expecting i would have to use the stand and posts to match the spool.