Zebco cardinal 6,7 connecting link failures to shaft

Started by Fishgolfman, August 30, 2023, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

I only have obtained six cardinals in the 6 or 7 series. About 4 have failed connecting links..to the shaft...the plastic link seems to disintegrate leaving the brass metal holder to shaft. My guess is this plastic part will need to be rebuilt or three D printed as its scarce to find.

Catching Nemo

There's an eBay seller out of the UK that makes/sells replacements made out of brass. Kinda pricey but will last a lifetime.

I've always wondered whether someone with precision DIY and drilling skills can make a replacement from a scrap piece of HDPE kitchen cutting board.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Catching Nemo on September 02, 2023, 05:34:29 AMThere's an eBay seller out of the UK that makes/sells replacements made out of brass. Kinda pricey but will last a lifetime.

I've always wondered whether someone with precision DIY and drilling skills can make a replacement from a scrap piece of HDPE kitchen cutting board.

It can be accomplished but one needs to save that little brass insert & pin. The most difficult part is cutting the ultra thin slot and then inserting that brass bushing into the hole without breaking the fitting.

I have seen the broken part repaired by being glued together and then wrapped around the outside with a thin and tight piece of flexible aluminum. That repair works well if done correctly & precisely and lasts a long time.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

That idea of flexible aluminum around repaired plastic is great. I tried it with jb weld and heavy duty double foil that has been glued together. Was able to wrap the glued plastic piece with jb welds with brass insert. I dremeled final to clean up. Lets see if it holds up under intense pressure. May also try 3D printing as i now have access to one.