A new reel from an old friend.

Started by Flat Top, September 01, 2023, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Top

A buddy of mine from Florida called the other day and said he was sending me something of interest...a "gift"...but wouldnt say what it was. I received it today in the mail...its a skinny Squidder 140....a 146! I need to totally disassemble it (reel feels sluggish...probably a lot of gunk inside), clean and replace any parts that are worn... (maybe bearings too), add carbontex drag washers, and get it ready to fish.

Anybody have experience with these...weight limits (fish weight)....how do they cast with the narrow spool, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Overkill....is way underrated.

MarkT

I'd look for an aluminum spool. It'll cast better that way! I fished 15 & 20# on mine when I had one.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

If you can find 'em, Newell makes bars, spools and stands for these.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Pro challenger has a 146 spool. Suspect it'll look a bit like mine.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

Cortez conversions makes bars and a base too, I have a few, nicely made!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Flat Top

To all; I have a 140 with the Newell stuff on it...spool, base, supports, etc, and it does offer strength beyond OEM, but all my other Penns are OEM and do a fine job of casting and catching fish for my purposes. Has anyone caught a monster with this reel....I am looking more for the (weigh capacity of the fish on average) that a reel like this can handle....I dont want to take the reel beyond its limits....I have other Penns that can cover large fish in the big rivers here. According to what I have read the 40 to 60 lb fish (stripers etc) is about the limit.

Finest Kind

Hey Flat Top, I have caught plenty of big fish with a Surfmaster. Basically the same as your Squidder, minus the ball bearings. A completely stock reel, I have caught blue, brown (sandbar) and hammerhead sharks up to close to 200 lbs., bluefin and yellowfin tuna up to about 60 lbs plus plenty of big stripers, from a boat.At the time that I was using it for sharks and tuna it was the only reel I had besides a Jigmaster. Had it loaded with 40 pound mono.Never had a problem. Last year I put a Pro Challenger spool and bars on the reel, SS fine tooth gear sleeve, Bryan Young's drag washer set, jigmaster handle. All it really needed was new drag washers and a new gear sleeve, but what the heck. Still catching plenty of stripers with it. 52 year old reel.

Swami805

Back in the day I've caught albacore to to 25 pounds on a 146. Before braid, carbon fiber drag washers, stainless parts and all that. Did have a Newell kit on it. It was my father's reel that caught plenty of fish before I got it. I still have it, works fine
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Flat Top

Finest Kind, Swami805. That is good to know.  This reel is strong enough for anything I may go after here!