Penn Black 112 and YTS KIT

Started by jigmaster501, September 02, 2023, 01:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

If you really want it done take it to a machine shop and take a sixer with ya lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jigmaster501

I was thinking about this

If we just left the center hole empty and I filled it with beeswax (to keep out water), would it work.

I looked at some newell reels that have a similar design and I think I will give it a shot to see how it looks.

The top holes will have screws going through and the bottom holes will just be through the inner frame.

The reel seat has the center hole going through.

Do you think this will work?

Eugene

Swami805

Should work ok I'd guess, worth a try.  Same way Newell does it. You'll just have an open hole in the side plate
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

The seat holes on a black 112 don't fully line up with a 113h seat. It's been tried before. They're off by just a smidge, just enough so screws won't go in
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

jigmaster501

So last year, I took the left side rings off a red 112h, drilled the holes to match on the handle side of the black 112 sideplate and mounted it on a Tiburon frame with a stainless longbeach 65 spool.

I fought a 6+foot porbeagle shark in the Gulf of Maine for 20 minutes until the line parted. I was using 40lb test line and the reel was like a winch. People on the boat could not believe that I did that with a 3/0.

I was very impressed with this reel setup. Tiburon doesn't have any of the TUNA SPECIAL sized reels which would be needed to keep the original sized stainless spools which are very light.

Since getting tiburon tuna special and not bluefin special frames will be impossible, I think drilling the sideplates to fit the 112h tiburon frame and shrinking down to a longbeach 65 spool or a seaboy 190 spool is the ticket.

I was thinking of going the route of making aluminum spacers and making a "half frame" with a regular 112h reel seat and 112h bars with different holes so the side plates can be screwed to this half frame sort of what was done here with the Cutdown Penn 210 that was done here a few years back.

I was thinking of asking if Tiburon would just make 112HN spools with a spool spindle that would fit a black 112 and we only need to drill the holes in the sideplates. In reality, you only need to drill a handle sideplate and use a left side plate from a 112h.  If Tom would make a handle side plate for a 112 that fits the holes for a 112h, that would be an option....lol

Maxed Out

Eugene, I bet that was loads of fun fighting that shark !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!