Hello from Pittsburgh

Started by work2fish, September 03, 2023, 04:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

work2fish

New member here from Pittsburgh, PA. Warm greetings to all, and thank you for sharing your incredible knowledge on these boards!

I did a lot of freshwater fishing growing up in Ohio, and then started fishing again a few years ago as an activity to do with my son, who is now 13. We mostly bank fish for catfish and carp in the rivers and lakes around Pittsburgh, but also occasionally cast some lures. We're also looking forward to trying surf fishing next time we visit the ocean.

I recently purchased a few used Ambassadeurs to tinker with. Finished the first one, a 5500 C3 (99-08), with lots of help from the information posted here. It was so satisfying to receive a dirty, rough cranking, reel with the anti-reverse not working and transform it into a smooth reel that I plan to use for a lifetime, just by cleaning and lubing it.

The next one is another 5500 C3, but it is a 99-02, before the instant anti-reverse, and I'm not sure the anti-reverse dog that is in the reel is the correct one. I'll probably be posting some questions in a few days on the Ambassadeur board  :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Welcome from the middle of the US!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Welcome! Post pics of your anti reverse in the ambassadeur section and I'm sure we can get you sorted.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Brewcrafter

Welcome from the SoCal Inland Empire! - john

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sabaman1

Welcome! From San Diego California
JIM

johndtuttle

That's the spirit and what we do here...transform rusted worthless junk into smooth little tools.  :D

Welcome!

happyhooker

Greetings, from Minnesota.

Frank

work2fish

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome!

Just posted some pics and questions on the Ambassadeur board. The reel I'm working on is actually very clean and nice inside, and it seems to work fine, but I noticed that the AR dog in the reel is different from the one on the schematic. I'm new to these reels and don't know how they feel and sound when they are healthy, so I need a little help determining whether or not the AR dog that is in there is OK.

Mark

Bill B

Welcome Mark.  Go Steelers...oh wait I'm a Raider fan. Never mind 🤣. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!