DAIWA SEALINE 50LD DRAG JUDDER

Started by kevin cozens, September 04, 2023, 06:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin cozens

I have a sealine 50LD which has a lot of clutch judder when slipping.
As i cannot find a replacement drag washer i modded the old one by sanding it down and fitting a new carbontex washer gluing it in place with marine grade JB Weld.
This has made no difference at all and im wondering what else would cause the problem.
My only guess would be a bent spool spindle or maybe the drag is set up wrong.
maybe i should have left the drag dry instead of greasing it with penn blue grease
Any ideas guys?

boon

Try lapping the metal drag washer - put some very fine sandpaper on a piece of glass then rub the washer on it until you get a consistent finish with no high spots.

alantani

ok, yeah, no.  that particle board drag washer will never work.  the only thing to do is fine a piece of carbon fiber that is close.  you'll need to get the exact thickness of the stock drag washer, then mill down the particle board surface to that you can glue on the carbon fiber drag with a good quality 2 part epoxy, and grease the drag washer. 

sorry, but that original material will never work.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

If you are testing the drag out bu holding the spool, you will feel inconsistency in the drag as your had will place some type of lateral motion in combination with the pull drag system. The best way to test the smoothness of the drag is to put line on the reel and pull the drag. It'll feel much smoother.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kevin cozens

Quote from: alantani on September 05, 2023, 01:23:36 AMok, yeah, no.  that particle board drag washer will never work.  the only thing to do is fine a piece of carbon fiber that is close.  you'll need to get the exact thickness of the stock drag washer, then mill down the particle board surface to that you can glue on the carbon fiber drag with a good quality 2 part epoxy, and grease the drag washer. 

sorry, but that original material will never work.   :-\
i have done that already. i used a carbontex drag washer which i glued to the old washer after sanding it down to the desired thickness

alantani

crud.  if i actually would have read your post more carefully, i would have seen that.  ok, with greased carbon fiber, the drag is still sticky.  the penn blue grease is then likely the culprit.  try cleaning off the blue grease as much as possible.  then apply a thick coat of cal's drag grease, clean off the excess, and see if that works.  if so, then you should be good going forward.  if not, you may have to hit the carbon fiber with carb cleaner to clean off all of the grease, then let if thoroughly dry for a couple of days, then reapply the cal's grease and hope for the best.  hopefully, the carb cleaner will not weaken the adhesive. 

i generally do not recommend a hydrocarbon based grease for drag washers, and i think that penn's blue grease is hydrocarbon based.  i think that the blue grease is the problem.   :-\

foakes

If you need a new drag washer with the metal plate factory attached —- I have some.

Let me know, and I will pop one in the Post to you, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

it would be nice to turn some of these down on a lathe, then glue on a piece of carbon fiber. 

kevin cozens

Quote from: foakes on September 05, 2023, 04:51:22 PMIf you need a new drag washer with the metal plate factory attached —- I have some.

Let me know, and I will pop one in the Post to you, N/C.

Best, Fred
I live in the UK but how much would it cost for a new washer with postage. do you have any other spares for this model

foakes

I wouldn't easily know what other parts I might have for this reel.  Just happened to have these in a 4-drawer organizer.

Daiwa made so many models.

It would go in a bubble-padded envelope, and I am in California, USA.

You can check postage on-line and let me know if you want it.

Shouldn't be too bad —- no charge for the part.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kevin cozens

Quote from: foakes on September 06, 2023, 04:40:29 PMI wouldn't easily know what other parts I might have for this reel.  Just happened to have these in a 4-drawer organizer.

Daiwa made so many models.

It would go in a bubble-padded envelope, and I am in California, USA.

You can check postage on-line and let me know if you want it.

Shouldn't be too bad —- no charge for the part.

Best, Fred

you are so kind. let me know the postage price and paypay details and i will send you the postage along with my address

many thanks