5500 C3 with AR dog (foot number 99-02-02)

Started by work2fish, September 05, 2023, 01:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

work2fish

I'm working on my first Ambassadeur that has the anti-reverse dog instead of an IAR bearing, and I've run into a few questions.

On the schematic for the 99-02 Ambassadeur the AR dog is shown as part 20687. I think that is the one with the two copper friction leaves. The one on my reel only has one friction leaf, and it looks like it rides on the bottom of the drive cog. I'm wondering if it is just a part variation, or if it is the wrong part for this reel. It seems to fit well on the post and work correctly, so I'm inclined to just continue to use it. Part 20687 is no longer available. The parts sites say to use the the anti-reverse dog from the 7000 (13372) and two washers (13169) instead. One thing that gives me pause is that the AR dog doesn't seem to hit the drive cog squarely. When I push down a bit on the drive stack, though, the dog aligns with the cog. When the reel is assembled won't there be some pressure on the drive stack from the star drag?

I'm thinking I should grease lightly the bottom of the drive, but oil the AR dog post. Does that sound right?

The schematic says that the drag washers are part 20907. Is 20907 Abu's carbon washer? The washers on my reel feel like a hard plastic material. Did Abu ever use hard plastic-like material for this size drag washers? Should I apply drag grease to these washers or leave them dry?

When the handle is turned after pushing the free spool button the button returns back up slowly, without an audible click sound. Does it look like the return spring is installed correctly? This may also be caused by old grease under the mechanism. Will see after I clean and re-lubricate.

Should the crank bearing (20647) be oiled or greased. It feels smooth, but slow, as if it is packed with grease. Because of this (and maybe the friction from the AR dog leaf) the handle only spins for around 1/2 second if I try to spin it. Is this normal for these older 5500 C3s with the AR dog?

Overall the reel seems to be in good shape. I already cleaned and lubricated the levelwind components and the spool bearings, and the spool spins for 3.5 - 4 seconds in free spool with the stock bearings and levelwind components. Looking forward to getting the right side cleaned, lubricated, and re-assembled so I can fish with it.

Thanks for any insights you can contribute!

Mark

JasonGotaProblem

I have a reel that had that single leaf dog. I replaced it with a double leaf dog and it works just great but I went to a smaller under gear drag washer to accommodate. The reason for that single leaf is to allow for a larger drag disk. But if you have a multi disk stack you won't notice the loss.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ExcessiveAngler

Not gonna lie one bit lol!
I've had a lot of Abu's in my day, and still have at least, 15 or so of them!
They're all Swedish models, except for the 7000 blue yonder, and unless I'm having a senior moment, lol!  I don't remember seeing a dog like that?
Don't think my 7000's look like that either!
Learn something new here every day!

work2fish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 05, 2023, 01:13:35 AMI have a reel that had that single leaf dog. I replaced it with a double leaf dog and it works just great but I went to a smaller under gear drag washer to accommodate. The reason for that single leaf is to allow for a larger drag disk. But if you have a multi disk stack you won't notice the loss.

Aha! That explains why all the drag washers are the same size on this reel. I was wondering about that.

Is there an advantage to the double leaf dog? Even though the parts places don't have them used ones seem to be readily available online.

JasonGotaProblem

I find the "pinch" makes it more reliable.  But thats shared as opinion and not fact.

Gfish

If that's the way the reel came I'd leave it. The anti-reverse function doesn't skip, does it?
The under-gear washer looks to be the same type I've seen on 80's era Abu Ambassadeurs. Kinda like a hard fiber substance.
Can't really tell about the return springs...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sciaenops

I would think a double leaf dog keeps better alignment with the ratchet. Thinner or smaller o.d. under gear drag washer should be fine. Just take care to remove both together so leafs don't get tweaked.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: work2fish on September 05, 2023, 01:35:57 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 05, 2023, 01:13:35 AMI have a reel that had that single leaf dog. I replaced it with a double leaf dog and it works just great but I went to a smaller under gear drag washer to accommodate. The reason for that single leaf is to allow for a larger drag disk. But if you have a multi disk stack you won't notice the loss.

Aha! That explains why all the drag washers are the same size on this reel. I was wondering about that.

Is there an advantage to the double leaf dog? Even though the parts places don't have them used ones seem to be readily available online.
E-replacement parts has the double leaf, pinch dogs in stock for $4.95+S&H, And they have brand new single leaf dogs on eBay for $6.95+S&H. Both in stock, I just went and checked for you!

Keta

Try to find a AR bearing side plate and build a reel with a AR dog and AR bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Keta on September 05, 2023, 04:17:48 AMTry to find a AR bearing side plate and build a reel with a AR dog and AR bearing.
What he said. Gotta love dual AR

Donnyboat

should work out good with the double leaf dog, also not to much lube on it as that will restrict the pivoting,  Mark welcome from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so if you want to use carbon drags the under gear washer needs to be small enough that the AR dog flap doesnt touch it. If it does, either the flap will eventually shred the drag disk, the drag disk will prevent the dog from properly engaging, or maybe both. I've been meaning to open up one of my older 5000C (a reliable source for double flapped dogs) and see what the OD of the under gear drag is. I suspect even though it's not made of shred-able carbon it's probably still small.

work2fish

Thanks, all, for the suggestions!

I'm hoping to fish on Friday, so for now I'm just going to clean everything, re-lube, and reassemble, using the one-leaf AR dog that is already on there.

I do have a set of the carbontex drag washers, though, so I might use those to replace the drag washers that are on there now. The carbontex washer that goes under the drive is one of the smaller-diameter ones, so I would be set in case I want to switch to the two-leaf AR dog later. Does upgrading to the carbontex washers make a big difference in the drag performance?

It might be a winter project to look for a right side plate from a newer 5500 C3 with the IAR bearing and try to build an Ambassadeur with IAR bearing and AR dog backup. I checked on the prices for a new side-late (22481) and the part (22001) that would replace the crank bearing, but with shipping they would be significantly more than I paid for the reel! For now I'm just trying to just get a few used Ambassadeurs cleaned and tuned for regular fishing use, but I can definitely feel the attraction of getting more, some for the parts, and tinkering with them!

Mark

sciaenops

Quote from: work2fish on September 05, 2023, 06:46:41 PMDoes upgrading to the carbontex washers make a big difference in the drag performance?

Depends, kinda looks like yours are already carbon fiber? I bought my 6501C3 in 2007 and pretty sure it came stock with carbon fiber washers. Good enough to land some decent fish.

So if originals are still in good shape, changing them out might give a noticeable, but not huge difference.