stock newell handle with aftermarket knob

Started by steelfish, September 05, 2023, 11:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

so, I have the handle and have some possible knobs to install
but I dont know for sure if its a good idea to try this or just get an aluminum handle blade from Tom or from Alan Chui and install the knob on it, I already have the newell SS blade from the Boss but I want to try something lighter for a newell 533 with tib frame.

so, have anyone drilled the stock spindle on newell handles like the one on the pics?

PS: my knobs options dont match with the stock spindle of the newell handle

The Baja Guy

Swami805

I don't think it will hold up but worth a try I guess. I don't think the arms with the white stripe are reinforced with anything, supposedly the red stripe ones are but I've never cut one open to find out. I'd get a new arm if it was me
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Alan Tani installed one of his signature knobs on a stock newell arm but he used the stock spindle with the knob so, Im sure it felt secure and solid but as you said, I also have my doubts if I try to drill out the stock spindle and screw another one from the aftermarket knob

The Baja Guy

Swami805

I have a few stock handles laying around if you need one Alex. Give it a shot if you want
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on September 06, 2023, 12:54:11 AMI have a few stock handles laying around if you need one Alex. Give it a shot if you want

as always you're so kind compadre, but I think I will just get an alluminium blade from Tom and called it a day.

I recalled I have an stock newell handle which is shot from the hole that meets the reel shaft, so, I might use that one to drill the knob out to check how firm an aftermarket knob fits, just for the science.  >:D

The Baja Guy