Penn 9 Clicker woes

Started by cornmuse, September 06, 2023, 11:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornmuse

Sorry if this is covered somewhere else in the forum.  This is a great resource and my first post here.

So I'm servicing a Penn 9 and I'm having a problem with the clicker.  It wants to pop below the level of the spring when operated after reassembly. Not sure how to shim this? Or bend the spring?  Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Joe C.
For as long as space endures, And for as long as living beings remain, Until then may I too abide,
To dispel the misery of the world

Maxed Out

Been there myself. Easy fix. Remove clicker ring and put a slight downward bend on the mounting tab. This will keep downward pressure on the ring
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Ted is exactly correct.  He said what I was going to say.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

He said different than I's gonna say, but he's more righter than me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

After looking further at your reel —-

It appears that the nylon idler gear and the idler gear brass screw are too high —- maybe not tightened down or an improper spacer underneath?

This should be inside the idler gear cavity —- not proud above the edge.

This appears to be the issue.

Check it out and let us know.

It is weird that BOTH of the copper clicker spring ends are too high —- so check the gear and screw before bending anything.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

I'm gonna swing for the fences here and say its upside down.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

The spring looks right-side-up, you talkin bout the gear Jason?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on September 07, 2023, 06:56:34 AMThe spring looks right-side-up, you talkin bout the gear Jason?
yes. Not certain. But thats the look of it to me.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

cornmuse

Gents, thanks so much for the education.  I purchased this reel off ebay for a song and it was pretty clean.  Anyway, the one part I didn't remove was the idler gear and screw because the schematic shows nothing else there and they were pretty clean. Well I pulled the gear today and there's a washer under it!  Clearly someone tried to do something to this reel, didn't get it right and sold it as a "working" reel.  I'll complete the reassembly today and report back here. 

It's working wonderfully.  Now to spool it up and put it on a rod.  Going to be one of few bottom-bouncing bait rigs I'm assembling for friends who come to visit and want to spend an hour or two on a Florida pier or bridge. Thanks for the help!

Joe C.
For as long as space endures, And for as long as living beings remain, Until then may I too abide,
To dispel the misery of the world