filling bearings with grease

Started by benzeenees, March 05, 2012, 12:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benzeenees

Is it possible to fill a bearing with grease by warming the grease until it becomes soft,  then immersing the bearing in the grease and waiting for the grease to cool? Any other suggestions for a one off job?

Squirmypug

If the bearing has removable shields pull them off and pack with grease, then replace the shields.I don't think the grease will get soft enough from heat to get it in the bearing.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Bryan Young

Or invest in a bearing packer.  It's well worth it if you pack several reels.  Someone know the link.  I cannot find it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

If the price tag on the Packer is not justifiable, then remove ONE side shield, pack it good and replace the bearing with the open side in (away from Spool or open areas)...
Best direction to keep Grease in the bearing...

I have yet to remove a shield that was in good enough shape to put it back on, even the ones held in with retainer ring....   They all get tweeked!!!   ::)

Im either a heavy handed Farmer or dont know how to do it!!!!   LOL

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Keta

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on March 05, 2012, 05:03:09 PM
Im either a heavy handed Farmer or dont know how to do it!!!!   LOL

I'm a former heavy industrial mechanic and current "ignorant sheep farmer", I don't have problems removing MOST seals.  I use a dental pick or fishing hook to get under the seal beside the inter race and pop the seal off.  Metal shields require removing retaining ring on the outer race and I use the same tools with a magnifier to see the retaining ring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ebnash

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on March 05, 2012, 05:03:09 PM
If the price tag on the Packer is not justifiable, then remove ONE side shield, pack it good and replace the bearing with the open side in (away from Spool or open areas)...
Best direction to keep Grease in the bearing...

I have yet to remove a shield that was in good enough shape to put it back on, even the ones held in with retainer ring....   They all get tweeked!!!   ::)

Im either a heavy handed Farmer or dont know how to do it!!!!   LOL

Yeah, for the few bearings I have come across with the pressed in metal shield, I end up destroying the bearing when using the punch method.  I gave up

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste nothing, offer No Apologies...

Keta

Metal shields have a retaining ring you need to remove, then the shield falls out.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ebnash

Quote from: Keta on March 05, 2012, 09:22:19 PM
Metal shields have a retaining ring you need to remove, then the shield falls out.

Are you sure they all my retaining rings?  I believe some of them are pressed in and have to be removed by driving a punch inot the inner race and then prying the shield out.  At least this is what is shows in the bearing tutorials.  I had 2 spool bearings on my Saltist that did not have retaining rings.  I eventually got the sields off, but the bearings were destroyed and this was a brand new reel >:(

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: ebnash on March 06, 2012, 05:11:09 PM

Are you sure they all my retaining rings?  I believe some of them are pressed in and have to be removed by driving a punch inot the inner race and then prying the shield out.  At least this is what is shows in the bearing tutorials.  I had 2 spool bearings on my Saltist that did not have retaining rings.  I eventually got the sields off, but the bearings were destroyed and this was a brand new reel >:(

Your digging in to deep...   Try using a small/med sizes fishing hook.   They work very well and no need to dig in that deep.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

ebnash

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on March 06, 2012, 06:14:45 PM
Quote from: ebnash on March 06, 2012, 05:11:09 PM

Your digging in to deep...   Try using a small/med sizes fishing hook.   They work very well and no need to dig in that deep.....

How do you use a fishing hook to remove a pressed in shield?  I have used the hook to remove the retaining rings on shielded bearings, but not when the shields are pressed in...

Keta

Mark Twain

josa1

Hi Keta,

That was a great video.  Thanks for pointing it out to us.  I discovered by accident a while back that a needle was the best tool to pull bearing seal retaining rings.  To see someone who really knows how it should be done is a treat.  Also, using the hobby knife was eye opening.  I have a whole set and hadn't thought of using one of the knife blades as a seal remover.  Thanks again!

Jimmer

Needle and a hobby knife don't have barbs. Don't even ask why this is important.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

The same reason you file off the front sight of a pistol you pack in bear country.

Mark Twain

redsetta

Quote from: Keta on March 07, 2012, 02:49:20 AMThe same reason you file off the front sight of a pistol you pack in bear country.
Class.  ;) ;D
Cheers for the tip, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer