Any Idea What This Is?

Started by Crab Pot, September 08, 2023, 03:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Local Squidder for sale on the Book of Face.

I have never seen this large sewing needle looking thing ever.

Is it a Penn item or just someone's home invention?

Near as I can tell it's some kind of level wind system.

But who knows...

Thanks,

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

JasonGotaProblem

It's an anti-backlash casting mechanism. There was a thread about it a while back. Interesting concept. Never caught on.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

Looks like it's on a 2 piece sabre spinning rod?
I remember the tread it was on, was it a backlash device or a line guide contraption?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crab Pot

So it's an original Penn part/manufacturing?

If so I may just buy it for the novelty of it.

Can you supply me the link?

I wouldn't know what to search for.

Thanks,

Steve

JasonGotaProblem

Any search terms I can suggest are too vague to be useful.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

foakes

Yes, it is an Anti-Backlash after-market device for conventional reels when surf-fishing.

It can be used on various brands of reels —- particularly Penn & Ocean City.

This one may be a "Don's" —- simple spring-loaded system that brakes against the shoulder of the spool to prevent backlashes and birdnests when surf-fishing.

I have a more elaborate one on a Squidder 145 that is drilled into and attached to the tailplate —- with a set of brakes to stop line over-spooling when casting.  It was made by John Pasenon, I think? I actually tested it side by side with another 145 about 6 years ago.  Got 100 yard plus casts consistently with 3 ounces of lead.  As soon as the forward momentum of a long cast stops — the spool also stops immediately and consistently every time.

A good angler with a "trained thumb" and a good feel for their technique — can easily get by without one of these.  But for even some of the experienced veterans — this was what they used and had installed on their surf reels.

Got to remember, for years conventional reels were the only reels used for surf-fishing.  Spinners were still a novelty, guys were not used to spinners, and most of the spinners of the 50's were not tough enough for the demands of surf-fishing.  Reels used were Squidders, Surfmasters, Ocean City, Coxe, etc.

Now, most anglers use spinning reels for surf-fishing.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kevin cozens

This casting aid was fitted to more than one Penn model
I have a surfmaster 200 that has the same aid fitted to it.
If the aid was an aftermarket option or a seperate model
i dont know.
What i can tell you is that my surfmaster is up for sale
on ebay as i type. you can buy it now for £20 or bidding starts from £10
All that is wrong is that it has no spool but is otherwise in VGC
and runs nice and smooth.
I will post worldwide but it will be more than the £6 stated on ebay which is to UK
here is the link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266404544915

Crab Pot

See!

I knew you guys would know what this is.

If it's an "aftermarket bolt on" I'm not interested, bit of a purest for my collection.

Unless it's Hot-Rodded, I still use those.

-----------------------------------------------------

Frank,

PM incoming.  ;D

Thanks,

Steve

oldmanjoe

As already stated it is after market bolt on ..   This thread shows a few examples that came out over the years .    https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,21590.0.html

The factory hot rod was the Ocean City far cast .   https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,36453.0.html
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare