surf smalls!

Started by Shellbelly, September 10, 2023, 12:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 17, 2023, 05:17:04 PMwhat are your local regulations for redfish?
3 Per person/day.  20-28" slot.  We can keep one over 28" using a tag on our license and it doesn't count in the bag limit, so with that you can get 4.  Then you can get one more tag for 3 bucks.  Possession is 2X the bag limit so if you camp/fish consecutive days you're not completely locked out.  If you're traveling home, you can have 6 slot reds in possession/license holder plus tagged fish.  3 fish in the high end of the slot is plenty.  Add an oversized fish and that's a bunch of food.

Those two small reds (rats) in the pic are 21".  Perfect size for 1 meal for us.  I don't catch those very often.  Average is 27" for me.  I'll throw back a 20" and 28" because the Warden can "just happen to measure differently" than I do. That's a $350.00, 1/16" fish measurement error.  I'll use my tags on 32-36" reds, usually in the winter. Larger than that is not really as good to eat IMO.  Still trying to fight and land a 50+" bull.  Maybe this winter.   

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Shellbelly

Here's a few more from Monday.  Surf was almost flat.  Threw some top dogs early under birds and got hammered by ladyfish.  Stayed on that for a while just for fun.  I think we threw back 10 keeper fish.  The reds came in late on 6" live mullet.  Stayed on the beach all day and caught a sunset, too.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

nelz

Shellbelly

Quote from: nelz on September 22, 2023, 06:11:43 PMWhere do you fish?
Texas coast.  Matagorda Peninsula between the Colorado River and the pass near Sargent.  Here's a map.  The inset at the top shows the pass near Sargent.  I'll get on near the river, drive along the beach East to the back of the pass and work my way back West to the Colorado River.  There are some 2-tracks between the surf and the bay (to the North) that access the bay flats and lakes.  I usually get on at first light and try to be off of it at sunset.