surf smalls!

Started by Shellbelly, September 10, 2023, 12:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

The wife and I took a ride on the beach yesterday.  I haven't wet a line since May.  Got enough to stink up the kitchen.  That little black tip and a couple of taters made us a meal.  Those whiting will be gone in a couple of days. 

It was HOT out there.  The water was hot, breeze was hot.  The beach was in good shape, very little 4wd, and the water was clear/green.  Lots of bait so I was able to put a couple of pounds away for later.  I scored a high-dollar nylon 6' cast net that somebody left behind.  All it needed was to get a hard head out of it.  My cheapo Wally World Net is now retired.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

thorhammer

Sweet! How are you cooking the blacktip? Looks like you bled it.

Shellbelly

Quote from: thorhammer on September 10, 2023, 11:44:36 AMLooks like you bled it.
Yes.  Bleed it and let it die on the sand.  Put it in the cooler for 15-20 minutes.  Then gut it and slosh it a little in the salt water.  I think this last part is overlooked by some.  Fluids are released inside that would normally be absorbed by the live fish.  There is a notable and unpleasant flavor (to me) if I don't gut and rinse a shark.  It's not a fishy taste, just not good.  The same kind of taste occurs if you miss any skin.  They secrete wastes from their skin.  On larger sharks, the belly meat is worth saving.  I fillet off the lining from the inside of the cavity as this has the same funky taste.

It's a versatile fish for cooking.  Much of what you can do with beef or pork, you can do with shark.  This one got fried.  The meat is firm and tight.  When our kids were little, we made nuggets.  It is dry, but that opens up opportunities for sauces or glazing.  I'm not a big ceviche guy, but my wife says it's really good.  I mentioned the belly meat.  If your fish is large enough, cut this in such a way that you can roll up a thick creamy crab/shrimp/bacon stuffing, skewer or tie, grill over mesquite, and finish in the oven.

Hungry?   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

thorhammer

Yep. I bled them, gets out the nitrous wastes that quickly occur when they die. Black tip, I marinated and grilled, but I like your thinking...

Shellbelly

Going back tomorrow.  Momma said she wants more shark.  I do what I'm told.

nelz

JasonGotaProblem

My trinidadian wife would be jealous. She's always trying to talk me into keeping sharks.

Look up "shark and bake" for an additional option. (Spoiler: despite the name, nothing is baked, except perhaps the person who named it)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

Quote from: nelz on September 11, 2023, 12:32:23 AMThat's a great photo!
Thanks! See how crowded it is? ;)

As ordered, I took Momma back out and she landed her first shark.  It jumped twice for her and I got a real kick out of seeing all that!  We threw back 5.  As we were talking about leaving, that red came along.  She was using an Abu 5000, 15# mono on a 6-1/2' medium Wonderod.  Pretty darn good!  Those 2-footers were keeping her busy!  After 36 years, I'll still keep her. 

Donnyboat

Good idea, looks like she keeps you in food, when I catch sharks, I like to take the head & tail of straight away also the fins, as soon as you gut it, cleen all the crap out along the spine,  cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

I think that red might be second only to the shark in how big a difference it makes cleaning the fish early, vs waiting.

A red that's filleted and skinned a few minutes after landing (after mercifully dispatching them with a deep stab to the gills) is an absolute delicacy. A red that waits to be cleaned is still good, but the difference is night and day.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 13, 2023, 01:46:52 PMA red that waits to be cleaned is still good, but the difference is night and day.
True.  Here in TX, game fish from public waters have to stay intact, meaning gilled and gutted or as caught, until they reach "final destination".  That way, they can be measured in the field by the Game Warden.  In our case, we are subject to inspection anywhere on the beach and on public roadways. 

Now, what about cleaning stations at harbors?  That aint "home" or final destination but I'm allowed to fillet my fish and bag them into my cooler from there.  These places are high percentage hang outs for Officers, especially when the half-day guides come in and take over the ramps and cleaning station.

I just bring my little catches home, put the junk in the freezer until trash day.  I generally do my larger catches at the cleaning station if the skeeters aren't bad and the guides don't elbow me out....and they will try.

ExcessiveAngler

Amazing, how much the regulations, change from state to state?
Here in NJ, nobody really eats shore caught sharks, most of them are protected.
From what I understand, the smooth dogfish are really quite good table fare.
This year, I really, thought about eating some myself, because they are a serious nuisance by-catch sometimes lol!
Thess are just horrible, big bruiser, sand sharks, sure some of them are easily 20 pounds, and talking about, tons of them!
As quick, as I could cast out a clam, they were on it, forget fishing two rods lol!
Didn't matter where I moved either, they were there, must've just been thousands of them!
Don't think I've ever seen them, quite as thick as they were/are this season!

Shellbelly

Still being under orders, we went back.  The weather was mostly cloudy with scattered showers.  Water was clear green and again full of bait.  Threw back 5 or 6 sharks and one oversized red.  We saw lots of bird action over lady fish at varying distances from shore from 20' to way out there.  Porpoise were jumping completely out of the water and dolphins were playing around.  Just a great day overall.  My wife caught her PB red, 29", and most of the sharks.  Hardheads were bugging us from time to time, but this is to be expected in warm conditions.  No crabs, though, and that's curious.  Looks like we're going back tomorrow. 

Shellbelly

What a dummy....posted the wrong pic.  Here's the latest.

JasonGotaProblem

Out of curiosity what are your local regulations for redfish? For us it's 18-27" and one per person per day.

Some tasty orders you received. I need to send my wife to yours for training.